• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metals As Safety Glasses?

• Thread starter digi7alph0enix
  • Start date
D

digi7alph0enix

So with my new job I've got a billion safety standards to meet, the most important of which being eye protection. My job will allow me to use my own frames/lenses as long as they meet full ANSI Z87.1 standards, and are completely clear as they cannot alter color perception (an important part of my job). I'm wanting to use a pair of Xmetals with some custom clear lenses from @qtrain23 but I've run into a slight problem in the meantime.

My job provides Dewalt glasses at no charge that are almost like an very cheaply made M-Frame, and they bug the hell out of me. No nose rubber, no earsocks, and curved ear stems that go behind your ears instead of just over them. I work 12hr+ shifts and the glasses have to be on at all times, which has been causing headaches. They are horrible and I hate every second of wearing them however they wrap beyond my eyes and almost to my temples, which is one safety standard that my job requires my glasses meet. I've got a pair of Tio2 XX that fit me great for outdoor wear but I don't think they'd pass for safety glasses since the wrap isn't nearly as tight as the Dewalts my work provides.

So my basic question is this- Do the Juliets or Romeo 1 provide a better "face hugging" wrap than the XX, extending beyond the edge of the eye socket and back toward the temples? I've tried on a Juliet once before and I seem to remember it sitting quite a bit differently than the XX does on me, but I can't recall exactly how it fit. If I can't find a metal frame that fits my work requirements I'll probably just buy an Industrial M Frame, but I'd much prefer a metal frame if at all possible.

So what do you think? Anyone else using these for work with similar safety standards as mine?

If I'm able to determine what frame would work best for this I'll most likely be posting a WTB early next week in search of whatever frame is deemed best for my needs. Thanks.

In my opinion if you've got stringent safety standards that are enforced the X Metals will not pass muster.

For a pair you wear that much go function over style.

I would recommend the M Frame 3.0 or go with a brand like ESS.

Don't sacrifice safety. They have side shield and coverage standards so you're either going to be exposed routinely or the safety guys will harp on the metals not being Z87 marked.

In my opinion if you've got stringent safety standards that are enforced the X Metals will not pass muster.

For a pair you wear that much go function over style.

I would recommend the M Frame 3.0 or go with a brand like ESS.

Don't sacrifice safety. They have side shield and coverage standards so you're either going to be exposed routinely or the safety guys will harp on the metals not being Z87 marked.
Any reason for the M 3.0 over the industrial M?

Any reason for the M 3.0 over the industrial M?
The 3.0 doesn't have rubber on the stems, one less thing to get nasty. Wearing M Frames every day, but far less than you will be, I went through rubber every few months.

The 3.0 also comes with the Agro lens, which is bigger than the Strike, has anti-fog, more peripheral coverage, etc.

If I remember correctly, there's some disclaimer in the paperwork that says they shouldn't be used as safety glasses. They certainly aren't Z87.1 marked.

With the standards being enforced by your job, I think you pretty much have to go with the Industrial M frame of you want to go Oakley. Sold as safety glasses and Z87.1 marked.
Oakley Industrial M Frame | Official Oakley Store

Especially if you've swapped non-OEM lenses into them, even custom cuts, they likely don't have ANSI ratings unless you have a shop make them that certifies the lenses. Even then, you're not getting nearly the same peripheral coverage with any X-Metal that you would with a sports pair.

Plus all the flak coworkers will give you, but that's beside the point.

And before I wasn't saying to avoid the Industrial M Frame. I would just go with the 3.0 if I could. The Industrial is the same as the original Ballistic pairs before they started adding the clip. Thicker lens, marked Z87+S for additional high speed test under the frame, and the frame has Z87 at the temples on the inside.

Latest Posts

Back