• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Xmetals In 2015?

I don't care what people say here..if it's made in china I won't buy it..I'm from the Philippines,go figure..I don't see any active member here from china..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423326945.717549.jpg

Why is there a difference where it is made? By ignoring all of the times when things go right (and the "made in China" works just as expected) and only noticing when things go wrong (that is, when the "made in China" breaks), you are cementing the idea into your brain that made in the U.S.A. items are better.

How about the spider cracks on Romeo lenses, the paint fading on Oakley Plates, the corrosion on Magnesium frames? All are made in the U.S.A. but nobody is making a big issue "Because it is made in the U.S.A."?

Cheers.

Why is there a difference where it is made? By ignoring all of the times when things go right (and the "made in China" works just as expected) and only noticing when things go wrong (that is, when the "made in China" breaks), you are cementing the idea into your brain that made in the U.S.A. items are better.

How about the spider cracks on Romeo lenses, the paint fading on Oakley Plates, the corrosion on Magnesium frames? All are made in the U.S.A. but nobody is making a big issue "Because it is made in the U.S.A."?

Cheers.

Speaking neutrally, I think it's a couple of reasons.

China has a reputation in the US for producing items of cheap quality, primarily because they're produced a lot of items of cheap quality. But it doesn't mean everything produced in China is cheap quality (a lot of you love your iphones and ipads, right?) and several with insider knowledge have attested that the China plants producing Oaks are as state-of-the-art as anything here in the US.

Second, I think there's a degree of patriotism. When a company moves their manufacturing from the US to offshore, it takes jobs away.

But to get technical, the cracks / paint / corrosion issues you mention really are design flaws, not manufacturing defects. So it doesn't matter where they were produced, as far as those problems go.

In talking with an Oakley store employee yesterday for about 20 minutes, he told me that the Madman and Badman X-Metals coming out on the 15th will retail at $400 a piece. He also told me to expect more X-Metals in Q3 or Q4 this year and that Oakley has some new hotness coming all year long. While I won't be buying either of the Q1 X-Metals, I'm hoping the Q3/Q4 X-Metals are a better looking set and a little bit lower price point. $300 seems a little more reasonable but I don't think that'll happen. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing more X-Metals later this year!

In talking with an Oakley store employee yesterday for about 20 minutes, he told me that the Madman and Badman X-Metals coming out on the 15th will retail at $400 a piece. He also told me to expect more X-Metals in Q3 or Q4 this year and that Oakley has some new hotness coming all year long. While I won't be buying either of the Q1 X-Metals, I'm hoping the Q3/Q4 X-Metals are a better looking set and a little bit lower price point. $300 seems a little more reasonable but I don't think that'll happen. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing more X-Metals later this year!

That's all in-line with the info & rumors here. But yes, your $300 price point wish is likely just that, a wish...

I'm really curious to see what the second set of X-Metals will look like. A Juliet refresh, if done properly, would be really cool. Juliets are by far and away my favorite Oakleys ever.

Any info on fit, ie medium size face, large etc...

Not that I've heard, other than lens shape.

There's also speculation that the various earstems on the x-metal t-shirt that came out for the holidays could be examples of what's to come. Or just concept art...

Back