• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any fix for the Badman hinges?

I'm very hesitant to buy Oakley's on Ebay due to all the fakes. I did successfully buy a pair of the Badman Ferrari glasses from Ebay for $165 and had them verified real at my local Oakley store. They came from a seller in Australia but I can't find them anymore. Seems that they were going out of business and this is why they were so cheap. I'm gonna keep looking. Thanks.

The spring hinge snapped in half. It's the one from the left side, but I'm pretty sure they are the same on both sides.

No idea what that means...

View attachment 420142
It was a joke. Some Oakley purists hate the badman and madman. "Use C4 to fix them" = "blow them up and do the world a favour". P.S. I don't hate them, to be honest...especially not for the price you can grab these for nowadays!

I was quoted $149 per side, or $245 for both. You should get on YouTube and watch the video. I found it by typing in Oakley Badman hinges.

$245 is REAL X-Metal territory and you would be nuts to put that kind of money into “fixing” a Badman.

If you like the Badman get an x squared, they’re similar in style except the x squared will last a lifetime and won’t break like your cheaply made Badman.

Bought a pair of Badman around 3 years ago to compare them to proper x metals. I haven't worn them more than 3 or 4 times & the hinge has broken. I have to say compared to my Juiets & X Squared they are very poor quality, I will see if I can repair them but will probably wang em in the dustbin. I'll do my bit to save the planet & carry on wearing real x metals.

@Yamahaexup
I'm curious... you only wore them 3 or 4 time in 3 years and the hing broke.. have you been opening and closing them without wearing them? how do you store them?
I'm just curious because I have 5 Madman "looking for one more" and 1 Badman and wear them all the time with no issues as of yet "knock on wood"

I'm just curious what has happened

Good question, I don't have a clue why they broke I hardly ever took them out of the cabinet! it looks like a small spring has broken where aluminium extension is attached to the lens frame.. I rang Oakley to see if the spring is available but it appears not. The broken spring could easily be replaced if available as it is held in place with t6 screws.

I have acquired 3 Madmen (Plasma/Fire, Plasma/Tungsten, Carbon/Ruby) and all 3 have different L/R spring hinge outward tension.

carbon is the correction tension: tight and even on both L and R hinges

plasma/tungsten tension: L/loose, R/correct tension (tight like carbon)

plasma/fire tension: L/loose, R/loose (loose like plasma/tungsten L hinge)

is there anyway to increase the hinge spring tension? my favorite pair Plasma/Fire is a little too loose for my liking.

Oakley should supply spares & support their product. I will strip my broken hinged badman after Christmas to see if I can repair the hinge if not I will scrap the frame. Not even sure they are worth fixing as they are a flawed design & will only break again.

Last edited:
i noticed that between my pairs that are the tightest and loosest, the tightest outwardly extending madman had temple and frame gap the narrowest.

this leads me to believe if i could push the temple arm into the frame more (less "gap" around the oakley logo) it would tighter.

Back