• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Sneakerheads In The House?

Thanks. I should have tried these before getting back to Jordan's. I'm stuck with a bunch of dead stocks lol.

I would like to hear you right opinions regarding caged vs uncared. To me, uncaged feels more comfortable. Is it just me?

I don't have much to say on the subject, the closest thing I've come to "uncaged" is one of those Nike Frees, IIRC. I am just not keen on shoes looking like socks. A shoe needs to look like a shoe.

No lie, the Frees that I have (a 3.0 and a 5.0, I think) are comfy enough. I just prefer something more substantial.

Sent from Q's Note5

Today got lucky to grab these shoes. It's patriotic......
20170623_111741.jpg
20170623_111801.jpg

Last edited:
Those are niice

Thanks I wasn't even planning on getting them. The alternate motorsport 4's that came out last week are much nicer!!! I'm just waiting for my replacement pair to arrive from Nike. Initial pair received had a bunch of glue stains, frayed stitching, and even a random marker line on the leather.

Air-Jordan-4-Alternate-Motorsport-1-681x478.jpg

Thanks I wasn't even planning on getting them. The alternate motorsport 4's that came out last week are much nicer!!! I'm just waiting for my replacement pair to arrive from Nike. Initial pair received had a bunch of glue stains, frayed stitching, and even a random marker line on the leather.

Air-Jordan-4-Alternate-Motorsport-1-681x478.jpg

Ohhh that black looks a lot nicer

Lol I guess blue is the new black lately. Got these in the mail from StockX:

Penny VI "Orlando" from the Sharpie Pack.
I've brought up this pair before finally came around to biting on it when price seemed right.
20170623_181500.jpg

I love this pair for so many reasons, starting with aesthetic.The standalone releases of the Penny VI used a suede/durabuck base on the upper. With that, the accent lines were less apparent, such as on the collar and bordering the posite wings. I feel like those are very significant in completing the look of the shoe. Puts more emphasis on how the collar layer runs against the direction of the "wing".
nike-air-penny-6-copper-with-black-suede-01.jpg

(pic from sneakernews.com)

This particular Orlando colorway also makes the original Penny 1 inspiration very apparent.
WEST-NYC-NIKE-AIR-MAX-PENNY-PROFILE-SINGLE.jpg

(pic via SneakerFiles/West NYC)

In general I'm a fan of Orlando colorways. When it comes to combos, for me there's "Bred", Black/White, Kobe's Del Sol combos, and this. Can't go wrong. If a shoe is ugly under these guises, it's probably because the shoe itself was ugly period.

But then another thing to take note of is this particular version carried resemblance to the LeBron 12 which also released around that time. It had posite "wings" and used the same Megafuse constuction (mesh with TPU woven in; bombproof stuff). However, I don't think the Penny VI's wings are any form of posite, but straight up foam like with the LeBron Soldier 9 — so they can get nasty creases if not careful.
duke-nike-lebron-12-1.jpg

(pic via SneakerBarDetroit; Duke exclusive player edition of the LeBron 12)

20170623_181129.jpg

The lace lock can accept an actual penny to be clipped in. Too rich for my blood, and since I tie my shoes, I'm going without it. The lacing setup is very nice imo. The laces themselves are woven with 3M reflective hits, and run directly through Flywire which is housed within the upper and protected by reinforced cutouts (just like the LeBron 12). Only downside is that there's no way to recover the Flywire loops if they get sucked in (after undoing the lacing). They're entirely concealed in the Megafuse upper.
20170623_181403.jpg

Love the fit. Just so happens this runs a generous forefoot volume, so going half-size down worked out perfectly to make sure I don't have heel slip. In classic Nike and Penny fashion, it uses an internal bootie and has a puffy tongue. The insole is so-so and I might swap it out.
20170623_181006.jpg

Outsole pattern is a mash-up of the Foamposite and Penny IV (ice and herringbone pattern), Penny 1 (the segmenting at the heel), as well as Penny II and III (topographical pattern). Not sure where the dots are from. Shank plate is annoyingly not actual carbon fiber. Considering the Standalone Penny IV originally retailed at $180, and this pair required purchase of the Sharpie Pack at $500, c'mon man.

20170623_181336.jpg

Believe this was of Marc Dolce's last works with Nike before he jumped to Adidas. He's done a number of later Penny (or Penny-related) pairs — Flight One, Zoom Rookie, Half Cent, Penny V, Lil' Penny Posite. I'm a fan of all those designs aesthetically, but functionally Nike usually skimped on internal cushioning. They'd just keep the external (Zoom) Air units because that's just an obvious element, as they did here. I'm 99% percent sure there's nothing in the forefoot of this shoe. I felt a bump under the Strobel board but it's firm. Can't really say I feel much with the heel Zoom Air unit for now.

Some NBA players have worn the Penny VI so it's surely serviceable, especially with the fit. The preset curve at the forefoot makes first steps feel quick. I just love the details and how there's a lot of throwback design cues involved.
20170623_180656.jpg

And seller gave me the original box. Guess I can throw in my Royal Foams. Was never feelin the Sharpie Foams.

Latest Posts

Back