• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can Anyone Help Verify Authenticity?

oh yeah, another thing is that the seams from when the plastic was molded are alot more apparent. Other frogskins i have are smooth and polished down. These have seams that you can feel on the top parts, and has almost a "sharp" feel to it

The seams are a lot more apparent on the crystal/acid run of Frogskins. An Oakley dealer I buy from even mentions this for the Acid run of Frogskins, which states "This style of sunglass has a present 'Birth Mark'. This being a very small line appearing on the upper frame when ejected from the mould. This is perfectly normal and not a warranty / product fault.", and they sell 100% authentic Oakleys.

It's very hard to tell from the eBay listing pics though, can you take your own. The logo on the stems looks neat, and from my experience fake Oakleys have a poor finish on the logo on the stems, the white/colour paint on the logo isn't neat and doesn't go all the way to the edge of the raised Oakley logo on fakes. However, fakes are also known to be a lot lighter in weight compared to real Frogskins too.

ok, that makes me feel a bit better. The logo on the stems is very good quality, and i actually have a pair of fake frogskins that have sloppy painted logos and this one looks legit. The only thing is that the plastic seems cheaper and almost more "loud" when you put them down or click the arms closed if that makes sense. The plastic is more like that of my fake fire flora fade than the real 03 clear crystal violet iridium i have.
I'm not sure if they would actually put effort into making a quality pair of fake oakleys.

@crailtap25
with that weight and the pictures i would bet original!

@jonoyong
i thought the second generation have metal hinges?

awesome, thanks for your input. and by the way, the first generation from 80s (made in japan) had metal hinges. Second gen were made in USA in the mid 90s, and had plastic cylindrical hinges. The current re released ones have a beveled hinge for added strength and less chance of breaking when stems popped off.

Latest Posts

Back