• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Collecting style/method?

I might come from a different cloth here, but I actually buy rare/limited edition pairs for investment.
While I love to wear my Oakley's, I mainly got into the hobby as a tangible investment for my portfolio (Gold/Silver I find manipulated by banks and boring). With the madness of today's financial system, I scoured the earth to find collectibles that grew/held their value over time outside of stocks/bonds/commodities etc. Early edition/limited Oakley products (x-Metal, Medusa, etc) had the volume in sales, and continual value growth I was looking for. Probably one of the few people that collects on here moreso for investment (although flashing a pair of 24K Juliet's is fun). The more we add to our collections, the rarer they will become, goal is to have ~100 X-Metals at some point in the future.
They're not making anymore of them and the more rare pieces are definitely going to hold and increase their value. Its undeniably a creative investment strategy.

Good thread this.
I go after very specific Os and thereafter go after every released and unreleased colorway in that model.
I tend to set myself a budget and never have I gone beyond.
It's a hobby after all that I enjoy where patience is a virtue.
Takes immense restraint to stay within a budget for something that can be categorized as a passion for most of us...I applaud you 👏👏

I started with a one example of each model when I first started collecting. I stuck to this as a way to limit myself and keep from overspending on this hobby. But then there ate those exceptions like the Madman where I thought the design was pretty cool that I had to get all the colorways. Eventually, I started branching out to other product lines like shoes, bags, accessories, hats (especially fedoras), and my favorite: knick-knacks like pins, stickers, key chains and more. Then, I started venturing out into collaborations of products that Oakley normally doesn't manufacture. A few examples include Oakley x Quantum Fishing Poles for the Big Bass Tours, Oakley x Muira Pitching Wedges given out as prizes for golf tournaments, Oakley x Macallan Flask, Oakley x Girl Skate Decks, Oakley x Assouline 40th Anniversary Books, Oakley x DeMarini Baseball Bat just to name a few.

Last edited:
Definitely what grabs my fancy and fits my face well (because I do wear what I buy) but I tend to keep a pretty tight collection of more special edition pieces many of them customized. For example of my 6 metals only 2 are bone stock while of the remaining 4, 3 are actually custom finished frames (and lens) combos; my 2 PBs the Tron has custom lenses and the other is a one off American flag custom frame. My Fuelies similar- 75 PCT are custom lens combos.

I guess the style could be considered something along the lines of me wanting pieces that aren't only fairly uncommon already but then personalizing those even further as something of a creative endeavor.

Good thread.

Started by getting tons of cheap/beaten up o-matter and landing the occasional X-metal.

Then, kind of settled into a mixture of trying to get the less common/rarer stuff (including Christmas wrapping paper, stands, display stuff) combined with pursuing a collection of new Racing Jackets/split jackets and collectible jawbones. I like the idea of having a "well-rounded" collection with an emphasis on a particular model(s).

Can't really go past the longevity (as well as the looks) of X-metals, so I've got a nice collection of them, although I'd like more Mars (who wouldn't!!).

Finally started collecting some fan made customs/OEM customs (slowly trying to get a piece from each of the guys on the customising list!!!). In a way, this is "icing" on the cake after you've got a good amount of the OEM stuff you really want to get. Personally, I think this adds a uniqueness to your collection, because by nature, they are one off productions ie. extremely limited editions!! I'd still love to get my hands on @the_owl's Porsche gulf jawbone!!

I don't think I'll ever be of the "gotta have a box" mindset. I don't collect as an investment. I collect to enjoy and I'm not a cat, lol
Of course, it's nice to have the matching box, to keep the value of your sunglasses. But then again, I love wearing my sunglasses (which eventually devalue them). I always feel conflicted about this.

Good thread.

Started by getting tons of cheap/beaten up o-matter and landing the occasional X-metal.

Then, kind of settled into a mixture of trying to get the less common/rarer stuff (including Christmas wrapping paper, stands, display stuff) combined with pursuing a collection of new Racing Jackets/split jackets and collectible jawbones. I like the idea of having a "well-rounded" collection with an emphasis on a particular model(s).

Can't really go past the longevity (as well as the looks) of X-metals, so I've got a nice collection of them, although I'd like more Mars (who wouldn't!!).

Finally started collecting some fan made customs/OEM customs (slowly trying to get a piece from each of the guys on the customising list!!!). In a way, this is "icing" on the cake after you've got a good amount of the OEM stuff you really want to get. Personally, I think this adds a uniqueness to your collection, because by nature, they are one off productions ie. extremely limited editions!! I'd still love to get my hands on @the_owl's Porsche gulf jawbone!!

Of course, it's nice to have the matching box, to keep the value of your sunglasses. But then again, I love wearing my sunglasses (which eventually devalue them). I always feel conflicted about this.
Agree about YOUR customs making YOUR collection unique to YOU. That's one of the coolest aspects of the collecting community...seeing what custom ideas others develop and how they're implemented.

I am the exact same about the boxes too. I wear all my stuff so they're devalued anyway, a box is pretty much moot at that point. Plus, I don't collect with the intent as an investment to accrue value.

Agree about YOUR customs making YOUR collection unique to YOU. That's one of the coolest aspects of the collecting community...seeing what custom ideas others develop and how they're implemented.

I am the exact same about the boxes too. I wear all my stuff so they're devalued anyway, a box is pretty much moot at that point. Plus, I don't collect with the intent as an investment to accrue value.
Wanna know what box I have ??

a complete IH Juliet box, coin, paperwork, spare rubbers and even the plastic sleeve...

every other box can get fuc't - don't care

I might come from a different cloth here, but I actually buy rare/limited edition pairs for investment.
While I love to wear my Oakley's, I mainly got into the hobby as a tangible investment for my portfolio (Gold/Silver I find manipulated by banks and boring). With the madness of today's financial system, I scoured the earth to find collectibles that grew/held their value over time outside of stocks/bonds/commodities etc. Early edition/limited Oakley products (x-Metal, Medusa, etc) had the volume in sales, and continual value growth I was looking for. Probably one of the few people that collects on here moreso for investment (although flashing a pair of 24K Juliet's is fun). The more we add to our collections, the rarer they will become, goal is to have ~100 X-Metals at some point in the future.
Another Minnesota member. Welcome!

I tried to get the pairs I’ve owned in the past, as well what ever new frames catch my attention going forward. I think every collection deserves to have a few of the classics.
frogskins
X-metals
Maybe OTT
what ever makes you smile and for the love of Oakley wear a few pairs, no point putting a plastic cover over that sofa so the next person gets to enjoy it

Back