• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cutting Lenses - What Works

Well
Tks for the reply, the extra pair of lenses fit perfectly in my flak jacket but I have would like to have them cut for o use in the half jacket.
Would prefer to use the half jackets as a all purpose use, and later on get anew set online.

In my opinion, you would be better off getting real Half Jacket lenses. I think the cost for getting the correct lenses would be similar to paying someone for their cutting labor. If you are looking to offset cost, you could sell or trade the Flak Jacket lenses. Generally the only time custom cutting lenses is practical would be when replacement lenses are no longer available or if you want a color that was never made.

OK, great idea. Was curios to try and see if I could have a go with the spare set.
Will try to post t pics of both sets later.

Doubling up on the post count eh? :whistle:
No need to post pics really, we all know what Flak & Half jacket lenses look like, unless you have a question. If the Flak lenses are larger in all dimensions than the Half jacket lenses, technically you probably can try to cut them, but then you risk ruining a perfectly good pair of Flak Jacket lenses which you could have sold or traded to get the proper lenses instead.

Can anyone confirm that Plaintiff can be cut for XX without rotation (good for polarized donors)? I know the spreadsheet says it works, I was just concerned about the tear-drop "aviator" lens shape.

So I ordered the Plaintiff lenses, and they look like a good donor for XX polarized custom cut. I was asked for measurements of the Plaintiff lens once they arrive so here is my best shot:

61.26 mm wide (@ top, widest part)
49.90 mm tall (@ far side, tallest part)
51.18 mm diagonal (nose area to top outside corner)

@rzurzel

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I used revant xx to overlay. It's hard to capture in the picture but there is a little space on all sides.

(VR28 BIP on sale right now for $71.50)

Last edited:
So I ordered the Plaintiff lenses, and they look like a good donor for XX polarized custom cut. I was asked for measurements of the Plaintiff lens once they arrive so here is my best shot:

61.26 mm wide (@ top, widest part)
49.90 mm tall (@ far side, tallest part)
51.18 mm diagonal (nose area to top outside corner)

@rzurzel

View attachment 228814 View attachment 228815 View attachment 228816 View attachment 228818

I used revant xx to overlay. It's hard to capture in the picture but there is a little space on all sides.

(VR28 BIP on sale right now for $71.50)
Oh yes!!! Thank you very much for those measurements @Kuztomized, especially that you was able to provide vernier measurement. I'm looking at those plaintiffs and will get them once. Of course now when I know those dimensions I'm just starting my working day. I have to wait over 8hrs to get home and make measurements of my lenses to compare...that is a real torment today :D

Back