• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

DIY framing question

IUSTEVE

I am Jim Jannard...
INDIANA
Anyone here that’s successfully framed a poster in one of the metal Oakley frames (40” x 27”) I am curious what you used to “attach” your posters to in order to fill the gap on the O frames? Basically what you used as a rigid backing for the poster

I know some posters came adhered to a foam board of sorts but wasn’t sure what you all have used.

The image attached is not mine and only for frame reference

IMG_0937.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have framed puzzles and posters before. I usually make my own frames. For a poster, I’d recommend not gluing it as it is permanent. You can lay it flat on a piece of plexiglass and sandwich it between foamboard (sometimes goes by gatorboard), secure to the frame and hang. For puzzles, I spray both with spray adhesive, let it tack up for 5 minutes, then apply pressure to set up.

I have framed puzzles and posters before. I usually make my own frames. For a poster, I’d recommend not gluing it as it is permanent. You can lay it flat on a piece of plexiglass and sandwich it between foamboard (sometimes goes by gatorboard), secure to the frame and hang. For puzzles, I spray both with spray adhesive, let it tack up for 5 minutes, then apply pressure to set up.

Never thought of the plexi idea. I thought about a foam board from a hobby store but wasn’t sure if that’d work. If I used two pieces of plexi and sandwiched the print between them I could essentially change them out at times. But that increases the cost of the project. I’m sure most just adhere theirs to a foam board and let it be.

Will I have any issue getting it to stick flat without wrinkles or bubbles on a foam board simply with a spray adhesive? What about any bleed through from the adhesive over time potentially “yellowing” the print as some adhesives do?

Try to get a piece of foam board bigger than the poster itself and lay it in the middle, you can always trim the foam board. As far as the yellowing goes, I’m not sure. Most of the posters I’ve done are color pictures, no white to speak of. The Plexi sandwich might be better if you are worried about it.

The spray adhesive is really meant to stick to itself, so you would spray it to both parts that you want to stick together. When you only do the foam backing, you’ll have no problem moving it a little. Having another set of hands around helps. A little squeegee May help if you see bubbles.

Literally only gave a 1/4” channel for the plexi or foam board to slide into so I’d need two 1/8” sheets (plexi) or thinner to make it work. This would give me a protective front on the image vs glueing to a foam board with nothing on the front

273eebb948a413e859205676d803985e.jpg

Latest Posts

Back