• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hi guy's I need some advice on somewhat of a unique problem!!???

lucozade

Oakley Beginner
Ireland
Good evening,

Unfortunately I began losing my hearing and now have to wear hearing aids similar to these pictured.. As they go over the top of my ear where the sunglasses also go. I find my ear hurts after wearing my current frames which are the splitshot for longer than an hour. Could any fellow members give me some advice on maybe the best frames / stems etc that would be lightweight and hopefully help with the pain.? I'm open to any suggestions and if any other members have the same issues from wearing hearing aids please I'd love to hear ( apologise for the pun) from you.

As always love to see the recommendations in pics if possible.

Thanks and God bless

AJ

1FE6754A-FFE9-4F8E-97E5-29AAC19C2A6A.png

I’m guessing a few folks here would think about the OTT (Over The Top,) but that would be somewhat of a costly option …

I wear RIC (receiver in the canal, Signia Pure being the model, probably a little narrower than yours) hearing aids (been severe to profound deaf since birth).

1623101125759.png

And the shades I've had the least amount of problems putting on that just easily slips the top part (typically the processor/microphone) outward to the side without having to adjust it has been my Holbrook XL.

If you're new to hearing aids, there will usually be a period of adjustment regardless of frames since it's something new on your skin. There can be irritation and soreness just from the subtle pressure (something a lot of mask wearers in the last year has noticed especially if they had to work with them 8+ hours a day).

The other shades I have little problems with have been
- Flak 2.0 XL , tends to sit on top of the hearing aid, but doesn't hurt putting it to the side since the tail narrows
- Latch Alpha, same deal as the Flak 2.0 XL except more comfortable (unless you got a really big head), the temples/stems narrow even more than the Flak 2.0 XL by the ears, so they fit better next to the hearing aids
- Clifden , similar feel to the Holbrook XL, a tiny bit thicker at the stems but works just as well as the Holbrook XL

Also haven't had that big a problem with some wire frames like the Savitar or the Wire Tap 2.0, but didn't care for the feel of the Mercenary and Sliver Edge against my hearing aids.

can't you get those hearing aids that go inside the ears ?
That depends on your level of hearing loss, the ITE (In the Ear) hearing aids are convenient, they are not powerful enough for most hearing loss beyond mild-to-moderate, especially since the battery required are usually the smaller 312 or 10 batteries, they would also go thru batteries too for higher level of power consumption.

RIC (receiver in the canal) ones offer a balance of high power output and clarity but at a lower cost (microphone and processor sits atop the ear, the speaker sits in the ear instead of going thru a plastic tube like BTE models). They also pick up audio better for those with worse hearing.

It can also be a matter of cost, quality in-the-ear hearing aids also cost a lot more and may not be covered by most insurance if RIC or BTE can do the same job. A pair of mine for example being 'budget' end, cost about $1600 in the end.

It isn't much, but the Kato's stems can be tilted a bit. It's more meant to influence the rake of the lens, but if you're not trying to be too sport-active, they can hold their place tilted otherwise with the stems having earsocks.

Also, since it's frameless, it imposes less pressure than other frames. The Zero EV would be even lighter in that respect, but without the stem tilt, but also less offensive in price.

Latest Posts

Back