• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How many are leaving and staying on Oakley Forum?

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Is there any way of finding out how many people are joining OF and how many become inactive for say 6 months or more? Or even percentage changed?

Can anyone provide the overall change in numbers of paid up membership e.g. Downward trend of 5% per year or upward trend of 10%/year new members? Ie for 1 year or lifetime?

Last edited:
Is there a reason to want that data?
There's been a lot of discussion about falling X metal prices. So I'm wondering whether it's being reflected in terms of membership. Reason I asked about the paying members is because it represents commitment rather than just signing up just to check a piece of info once, and then never coming back.

It was only later that I thought about the fact that there may be other reasons the absolute numbers of paying members shouldn't be disclosed (a bit forward I guess, just like asking how much you earnest last year), so I'd settle for just overall trends in membership numbers as a tough percentage!! I'll adjust the question above (I'll blame my Asian ethnicity on the insensitive questions. Whenever we meet someone, the first 2 questions are, "How old are you?" Followed up by, "How much do you earn?"!!!).

I'll blame my Asian ethnicity on the insensitive questions. Whenever we meet someone, the first 2 questions are, "How old are you?" Followed up by, "How much do you earn?"!!!

Funny, in my experience with "from-Asia" Asians, their first comment tends to be related to weight. Such as, "good to meet you! You look fat!" Or, "good to see you again! You don't look as fat as last time!"

Maybe it's just a Hong Kong thing...

Without going into all the technical flow charts of percentage increase/decrease, I'd be curious to know how many of the roughly 17200 of us in here are "active" members. I know that can and is defined differently by everyone, but how many post regularly...like 10 times a month? a week? How many posters are above 1000 posts?

@cacatman I bet there are very few truly active members as a percentage of the whole!

Without going into all the technical flow charts of percentage increase/decrease, I'd be curious to know how many of the roughly 17200 of us in here are "active" members. I know that can and is defined differently by everyone, but how many post regularly...like 10 times a month? a week? How many posters are above 1000 posts?

@cacatman I bet there are very few truly active members as a percentage of the whole!
Yeah. That's true. Coming here feels like going into a seemingly full of people, but when you get closer, you just see cardboard cutouts of people and dotted around the stadium are people like @OakleyFrankFMJ @cyclerdoug @QLR1 @dingo ate my baby @Fernando @kronin323

I think there are seasons in life, and at the moment, I'm in my Oakley season. I thought about taking on lifetime membership, but I just wanted to see how I went for a couple of years. Who knows, I might grow out of it....or my collection might get stolen, and I get super jaded and never collect again....or something might happen and I have to sell everything....or I could just die in the next 10 years!!!!

Funny, in my experience with "from-Asia" Asians, their first comment tends to be related to weight. Such as, "good to meet you! You look fat!" Or, "good to see you again! You don't look as fat as last time!"

Maybe it's just a Hong Kong thing...
Yeah, sorry. That's true. It's Question #3.
Question #4 is "Why are your teeth like that?"

Yes, it's the way our brain works. We just want facts and numbers. Forget the social acceptability/appropriate stuff. It's why we're so good at maths and chess and allegedly are wheelers and dealers. Completely devoid of other people's feelings!!! HA HA HA!!!

Yeah. That's true. Coming here feels like going into a seemingly full of people, but when you get closer, you just see cardboard cutouts of people and dotted around the stadium are people like @OakleyFrankFMJ @cyclerdoug @QLR1 @dingo ate my baby @Fernando @kronin323

I think there are seasons in life, and at the moment, I'm in my Oakley season. I thought about taking on lifetime membership, but I just wanted to see how I went for a couple of years. Who knows, I might grow out of it....or my collection might get stolen, and I get super jaded and never collect again....or something might happen and I have to sell everything....or I could just die in the next 10 years!!!!

Yeah, sorry. That's true. It's Question #3.
Question #4 is "Why are your teeth like that?"

Yes, it's the way our brain works. We just want facts and numbers. Forget the social acceptability/appropriate stuff. It's why we're so good at maths and chess and allegedly are wheelers and dealers. Completely devoid of other people's feelings!!! HA HA HA!!!

Agree completely with the seasons. I will upgrade to lifetime, my premium renewal is coming up very soon and I'd like to support the site more. Unlike other collections...sports memorabilia, action figures, et al...I look at oakleys differently. I use them daily and they don't sit unattended, so I can't see them going out of season to me, so to speak. They haven't since 92 ish when I got those first M Frames so I think I'm through the initial excitement period! :)

I wish I would have found this place earlier...but it's not like it's been up for 20 years so I didn't miss much in here.

There's been a lot of discussion about falling X metal prices. So I'm wondering whether it's being reflected in terms of membership. Reason I asked about the paying members is because it represents commitment rather than just signing up just to check a piece of info once, and then never coming back.

It was only later that I thought about the fact that there may be other reasons the absolute numbers of paying members shouldn't be disclosed (a bit forward I guess, just like asking how much you earnest last year), so I'd settle for just overall trends in membership numbers as a tough percentage!! I'll adjust the question above (I'll blame my Asian ethnicity on the insensitive questions. Whenever we meet someone, the first 2 questions are, "How old are you?" Followed up by, "How much do you earn?"!!!).

Nice correlation there, and some great conversation going on in this thread. Overall, the site continues to grow, people continue to discover it and obviously people continue to become interested in Oakley's. However to your point, the growth is less rapid than say 3-4 years ago, when X-Metals, Frogskins etc. were blowing up. I think this has a lot to do with Oakley as a brand, and how they have positioned themselves in the market. Don't want to rag too much here, but 3-4 years ago they were cultivating a great culture, with amazing limited editions (real ones, not 10,000 with just LE stamped on them), generating hype and buzz, and interacting with the community as a whole. I truly believe that this culture could have been grown to rival those of sneaker heads. 15 years ago, if you told someone you collected sneakers, they'd think you are crazy, now everyone gets it.

Believe as a brand they have become more focused on mass marketing, though I do believe they are working on turning it around and really trying to listen to the community as evidenced by some of the re-releases, throwbacks etc.

Spot on, for the second paragraph, but generally we look for the premium memberships/ads to support the site. Not trying to get rich by any means, and servers/bandwidth (especially adding in a global footprint) aren't the cheapest! Really just love running the site and being able to give back to this awesome community!

Agree completely with the seasons. I will upgrade to lifetime, my premium renewal is coming up very soon and I'd like to support the site more. Unlike other collections...sports memorabilia, action figures, et al...I look at oakleys differently. I use them daily and they don't sit unattended, so I can't see them going out of season to me, so to speak. They haven't since 92 ish when I got those first M Frames so I think I'm through the initial excitement period! :)

I wish I would have found this place earlier...but it's not like it's been up for 20 years so I didn't miss much in here.

This is a GREAT point, and took me about 3 years of running the site to realize. Typically the cycle we see is....obviously high traffic in the summer, you want new sunglasses, you start looking up Oakleys etc. etc. Then as September rolls around, we typically see it begin to trend downwards, people shift away from summer activities and brace for fall. Usually around Early-Mid December, traffic starts spiking again with the holidays and as half the world is in Summer, will usually dip ever-so-slightly in march/april before picking back up for the summer.

Generally if you look at the google trends report for Oakley, we tend to follow-suit.

Latest Posts

Back