• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need help- DIY rust decay

hockeyguy

Oakley Expert
Pittsburgh, Pa
So I haven't posted here on since I created my account, I work for Oakley and refer to this forum a lot for reference. I now am seeking help, I'm wanting to rust decay a couple frames I have (haven't officially decided which ones) and have no idea how to do it. I've searched the internet for some instructions but came across nothing that really helps. Honestly it's project I've been wanting to do for a while, any tips would be awesome. :cool-33: Thanks!

So I haven't posted here on since I created my account, I work for Oakley and refer to this forum a lot for reference. I now am seeking help, I'm wanting to rust decay a couple frames I have (haven't officially decided which ones) and have no idea how to do it. I've searched the internet for some instructions but came across nothing that really helps. Honestly it's project I've been wanting to do for a while, any tips would be awesome. :cool-33: Thanks!
@Jimbabwe

@cacatman

Thanks for the mention @OakleyFrankFMJ

@Oakleyemployee091, here is how I did it (detailed instructions).
Rust Decay Stand/Torpedo Case

Essentially what I did was to remove lenses, strip any paint off the frame, spray paint with undercoat, apply solutions and voila. Rust decay.

What always concerned me was the risk of pieces flaking off and scratching the lens in the MF bag or while cleaning. Be very careful. For this reason, I don't put them in bags. Just wear, display or stick on head. Clean lenses very carefully. After a while, anything that may flake off, does, but all you need is one small particle and your iridiums are a goner.

Some people spray a clear coat on the frame to prevent the above problem. I don't, because I don't like the darkening colour effect it has on the rust decay. It makes it look more dark brown, rather than an orangey vibrant rust colour. So, I don't clear coat.

All the best!

P.S. I'm just an amateur. @zwc0442 and @RonkPM are professionals. You get what you pay for! I have a pair of rust decay Juliets from Cory.

Here's what I used. It wasn't cheap to get everything. Probably about USD$80 for the paint. You may not need the clear coat (on the right). There are 2 rust decay solutions you need. The first is the paint with metal bits in it. The second (tall bottle with blue fluid) is the one you need with acid to "rust" it quickly.

Rust decay bits - 5.jpg

Here's my "rust decay" shelf....
Rust decay bits - 1.jpg
Rust decay bits - 3.jpg

Here are my results on my test Raybans (sprayed with clear coat).
Rust decay bits - 2.jpg

I also did a small vault and pair of glasses and even a stethoscope!!

Rust decay bits - 1 (1).jpg
Rust decay bits - 2 (1).jpg
Rust decay bits - 3 (1).jpg

Rust decay bits - 4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the mention @OakleyFrankFMJ

@Oakleyemployee091, here is how I did it (detailed instructions).
Rust Decay Stand/Torpedo Case

Essentially what I did was to remove lenses, strip any paint off the frame, spray paint with undercoat, apply solutions and voila. Rust decay.

What always concerned me was the risk of pieces flaking off and scratching the lens in the MF bag or while cleaning. Be very careful. For this reason, I don't put them in bags. Just wear, display or stick on head. Clean lenses very carefully. After a while, anything that may flake off, does, but all you need is one small particle and your iridiums are a goner.

Some people spray a clear coat on the frame to prevent the above problem. I don't, because I don't like the darkening colour effect it has on the rust decay. It makes it look more dark brown, rather than an orangey vibrant rust colour. So, I don't clear coat.

All the best!

P.S. I'm just an amateur. @zwc0442 is a pro. You get what you pay for! I have a pair of rust decay Juliets he did.

Hmmm.. I'm scratching my head and I'm pretty sure I haven't done any rust decay juliets that I recall. Only a bunch of frogs, some holbrooks, an oil rig, a plate, and an OTT.

Hmmm.. I'm scratching my head and I'm pretty sure I haven't done any rust decay juliets that I recall. Only a bunch of frogs, some holbrooks, an oil rig, a plate, and an OTT.
You are correct. I purchased them from someone else who bought them from Cory. I just got my wires crossed. I've corrected my post.

Latest Posts

Back