• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘Oakley Donor Lens Quick Reference Guide 2024

This article is heavily related to RX lenses except when taking about anatomy. It's especially related to those with higher powers and Astigmatism in their RX. The article is still full of good information but also talks about variables in the customer or patients eyes that can't be corrected... Like axial length. Everyone's eyes are different sizes and therefore have a different rotation... Notice in Oakley videos they laserl test only straight aheada with the lasers "eyes" set at a fixed averagea distance apart. The most interesting part for us to note here is in bold...
"For Rxs less than 3 diopters total power, stealing a nearby base curve up to 3 diopters from the original design’s default may be possible without additional peripheral compromise. [Using a toric curve is changing by less than 2 diopters like turbine, in a non Rx lens which is already using digital XYZ optics] Of course, the exact curve available may depend on the index of refraction you select. It’s a true balancing act, worthy of bestowing artisan status to those opticians who really learn how to do it well. [Thank you thank you]

MATCH BASE CURVE?
So what should an optician do when they see a prescriber write “match base curve” on a new Rx? Ignore it? No... understand it. Wrapped up in the phrase “match base curve” is a window to a previous time when lens design and fitting lacked the robust tools we have access to today. Of all the parameters impacting wearer adaptation and comfort, one of the few besides the Rx under the prescriber’s control are the changes in magnification and perspective a patient experienced from changes in base curve [on RX lenses y'all]. However, free-form design [like XYZ optics] now allows the optician flexibility to choose the best base-curve for the glasses at hand. Since the optician is ultimately the one responsible for satisfactory fulfillment of the Rx, they alone should be allowed the option of selecting the base curve which strikes the best balance in the eyewear’s optics, fit and cosmetics. May all your base curves be chosen wisely."

My point being I'm an optician, the base curve selection on a wrap around frame is at the discretion of a professional like myself on high RXs, so a non-Rx lens like Oakley or even @Linegear Japan that has no power and has all prism and unwanted Astigmatism compensated out will work fine!

This is not really an article that's completely in context for this thread. However, I agree 6 base curve lenses shouldn't be used on 8.75 base curve frames, and if you aren't an optician maybe you shouldn't be cutting your own lenses?

Last edited:
My point being I'm an optician, the base curve selection on a wrap around frame is at the discretion of a professional like myself on high RXs, so a non-Rx lens like Oakley or even @Linegear Japan that has no power and has all prism and unwanted Astigmatism compensated out will work fine!

This is not really an article that's completely in context for this thread. However, I agree 6 base curve lenses shouldn't be used on 8.75 base curve frames, and if you aren't an optician maybe you shouldn't be cutting your own lenses?
Well reasoned Chris and I agree on the prism correction with prism in base lenses but won’t the problem be more with the taper correction when fitting a mismatching lens and frame, rather than either of the above?

Well reasoned Chris and I agree on the prism correction with prism in base lenses but won’t the problem be more with the taper correction when fitting a mismatching lens and frame, rather than either of the above?
It really comes down to the "wrap angle" aka "face form" of the lens donor, vs original frames. For example if the Juliet is wrapped 18° around the head/face and a turbine was wrap compensated (prism balanced) for a 16° wrap angle they are going to work almost exactly same... However a 6 base lens like a Holbrook which is only wrapped 10° is not going to have the same amount of "prism balancing" or tapering. Hopefully that makes sense :) so even though base curve is different it's important the vertex distance from your eyes and the Angle they are curved. Because everyone face is structured differently (ie big nose vs small nose bridge) technically not all Oakley frames/lenses were actually "perfect" anyway. That's why I mentioned the fixed laser tester at Oakley HQ. :)

You are the man for reading and understanding that article so well. I take much of my continuing education from 2020mag.com/ce great site!

@Chris A Hardaway,
@"TRUMP" said you used a turbine rotor lens for a carbon prime. Is that correct? And is the curvature the same?

34138155_1337673999711031_6532424233903980544_n.jpg

Back