• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley pulling carbon blade?

It's spectacular. Do you have tincan or tincan carbons? I don't like tinfoil becouse i prefer complete frame of tincans.

I have both Carbon Blades and Tincan Carbon and they're both sweet as hell. I've never flexed the CB to see how strong it is, but it's still carbon fiber. I'd love a full frame to protect the lens but I have the utmost faith in the frame strength. That being said, I have to relocate the nose piece as I believe it's slightly crooked.

To anyone complaining of Carbon Fiber feeling like plastic, that's because it is. Carbon Fiber is a composite material, IE Plastic reinforced with Carbon fiber. The construction process uses layers of woven carbon fiber (hence the crosshatch or checkerboard pattern that you see shining through), and builds up many layers to create the thickness. As they lay each layer down, they wet it with a mixture of Epoxy Resin and Hardener. Epoxy Resin, when mixed with the Hardener reacts thermally. The material will get very warm/hot, which causes a chemical reaction that makes the liquid turn solid. This is how plastic parts are made. Resin and hardener. Only this time there's layers of Carbon Fiber there to help with rigidity and the strength to weight stuff. The result is a material that, while in this case is flexible, should always return back to its original shape, and shouldn't be anywhere near as flimsy as a similar frame made entirely of plastic. This is why the Blades hold on so well (I.E. Tightly), it's because the actual carbon fibers are tugging to return it to the original shape.

While the look of the shades is more reserved compared to some of oakleys icons, and the scale of the parts they need to use makes it difficult for the metal parts to stay attached perfectly to the frame (I.E. Some of the warranty issues I hear about), I truly think the Carbon Blade is a real treat for nerds like me where the materials and construction process are just as important as the look of the frame.

I have the Madman and Badman Ferrari on the way. I will have them all side by side then
With that said. I looked at the Badman and Madman in The Oakley Store in FL last Month.
They didnt have the Ferrari yet, but I was not impressed.
And yes @Wavecloud they may look high end, but they are not X metals (IMO)http://www.oakleyforum.com/members/wavecloud.5961/

I think calling them X metals has raised the xpectations of most members here including me.
I have my signature for a reason.

I feel if they wouldn't have tried to call them X metals, then maybe they would have been better received.
Thus my liking of the TINCAN.
The good news .
The resale price on these new X metals will be low enough that some collectors can get several pair. (Not me)
Ill stick to Juliets and XX and will be looking for the R1 next year

To anyone complaining of Carbon Fiber feeling like plastic, that's because it is. Carbon Fiber is a composite material, IE Plastic reinforced with Carbon fiber. The construction process uses layers of woven carbon fiber (hence the crosshatch or checkerboard pattern that you see shining through), and builds up many layers to create the thickness. As they lay each layer down, they wet it with a mixture of Epoxy Resin and Hardener. Epoxy Resin, when mixed with the Hardener reacts thermally. The material will get very warm/hot, which causes a chemical reaction that makes the liquid turn solid. This is how plastic parts are made. Resin and hardener. Only this time there's layers of Carbon Fiber there to help with rigidity and the strength to weight stuff. The result is a material that, while in this case is flexible, should always return back to its original shape, and shouldn't be anywhere near as flimsy as a similar frame made entirely of plastic. This is why the Blades hold on so well (I.E. Tightly), it's because the actual carbon fibers are tugging to return it to the original shape.

While the look of the shades is more reserved compared to some of oakleys icons, and the scale of the parts they need to use makes it difficult for the metal parts to stay attached perfectly to the frame (I.E. Some of the warranty issues I hear about), I truly think the Carbon Blade is a real treat for nerds like me where the materials and construction process are just as important as the look of the frame.
I am familiar wih carbon fiber sir as i said its the pricing of the item on hand are you telling me that when comparing side by side cheaptmetals and cb that they should price them on thesame category msrp i mean?. 400usd i think not and no way should they price it at thesame category as the cheapmetals . Quality wise look at the carbon fiber of the carabiner thats quality although i will be commented on the thickness as an excuse but ive seen better quality to command a 400 msrp on these cbs also i myself have held both as i said only my opinion another on the plus side they are not even selling at all compared to the cheapmetals which was suprisingly a hit so why jump on the price??.

I'm not saying anything about the price. Just commenting on the notion that it "feels plasticky"

I think they could have problems with carbon fiber manufacturing and for that, they have increased the price or have pulled them. About the "plasticky feel" is because the frame is lightweight but carbon fiber is not o-matter...both materials made frames more comfortable than old xmetals. If you only feel quality when you have a heavy frame...that is not good. For collecting them ok, but for wearing them not...tincan carbons and carbon blade are much better frames than badman/madman(a lot of marketing behind these) but they are made in china(there are many quality issues) and for than oakley sells them for 250-300$. But badman/madman are made in USA and for that, they cost much more. Oakley ears much more selling badman/madmans...

Latest Posts

Back