• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Pretty Crappy Forum Practice On Replacement Rubbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big scalping thing came about I think from the Goldbrooks. The Shawn White Gold Holbrooks. They sold like hotcakes and they were... $200 retail price? But soon after we saw people posting multiple pairs for multiple hundreds of dollars over retail price. They were still obtainable for decent money, but people went nuts trying to get them and profiteers bought up stores' stock for the sole purpose of flipping for profit.

I don't pretend to speak for the community or the forum, but we're talking about two very different things here. As it pertains to the forum, scalping generally meant buying hard to get items for the sole purpose of reselling high to capitalize on demand. We don't see a lot of it anymore. We see high prices, too high in some instances, but the forum moderators don't set market value for items, nor can they, so its almost impossible to enforce.

For particular items near release like the goldbrooks it was kind of easy. Not so much on rubber kits or IH Juliets or whathaveyou.

We see high prices, too high in some instances, but the forum moderators don't set market value for items, nor can they, so its almost impossible to enforce.

For particular items near release like the goldbrooks it was kind of easy. Not so much on rubber kits or IH Juliets or whathaveyou.

I realize it a 'free market' kind of thing ... but when prices are too high on a rare item ... IMO its scalping! Theres no reason for a pair of Juliets to sell for 700$+ when they were 350$ new ...

If the mods don't/won't set market value on items ... then there shouldn't be a 'no scalping' rule ...

Or make it more specific ...like no more than 2X MSRP ...with O-Review as a credible reference point unless they have an original receipt ...

Wow - this thread is at over 60 posts - seems like "scalping's" a hot button for many.

Like they say, "something is worth, as much as someone is willing to pay for it ..."

I typically stay outta this type of stuff, especially being pretty new still, but as it has been stated, just don't buy it. I would guess the members that do are either hard up for said item or don't know the value and assumes the prices is "correct" based on it's rarity.

With that said, once thing I'll never forget is the one member here that bought the IH Juliets and posted it; then literally turned around and made a FS thread for $300 more. That member has had some nice items for sale but odds are I'll never buy anything from him solely because of that thread. Seems people take mental notes (or start threads, which is totally reasonable IMO) and just stay away from members like that. But as been said, as long as people pay certain prices, other members will continue to list them for outrageous prices.

One thing I do agree with, the Classifieds should be for Premium Member's only & notice I am not a Premium Member right now. I may be new here but but not to the interwebs. Another site I'm on, countless times people join, then their first post/thread is, "Why can't I post an item for sale/see FS threads?" They then are told because they need to be a site supporter and odds are they are never seen again.

I realize it a 'free market' kind of thing ... but when prices are too high on a rare item ... IMO its scalping! Theres no reason for a pair of Juliets to sell for 700$+ when they were 350$ new ...

A big block 69 Camaro or Chevelle sold for $5-6K from the dealer. Does that mean they should only be worth 10-12K??

Unfortunately that's just not how value on stuff is determined. There are plenty of examples of Oakley that sold high originally and lost value. Is that fair?

Not picking on you, just making a point with your statement. Someone on here posted up already and I agree, scalping is on something you have to have like gas or housing. Oakleys are a luxury and prices are set by a market that goes up and down continually. Like it or not thats the way it works in a free market society.

I got one for you. I posted a wtb ad. I had one member send me a PM asking how much I am willing to pay? But it gets better i had another Pm from a membe who said he had to at reasonable prices but get this. He said "but you will have to wait until this other member decides if he wants them. The other member happened to be the guy asking "how much I am willing to pay"? That's right he saw my post tried to hook up with another member to buy a pair he didn't have just to flip them to me. How's that for community? I passed on that member and contacted the member that had to pairs a few weeks later asking the outcome. He said " oh the other member bailed on me". Imagine that

One thing I do agree with, the Classifieds should be for Premium Member's only & notice I am not a Premium Member right now. I may be new here but but not to the interwebs. Another site I'm on, countless times people join, then their first post/thread is, "Why can't I post an item for sale/see FS threads?" They then are told because they need to be a site supporter and odds are they are never seen again.
Nothing kills internet forums faster than giving excess privileges to paid supporters.

Benefits and perks? Cool. Shutting off certain functionality is as good as closing the doors to new members. Regardless of it being a dollar or 35, it creates a divide.

I've already had someone throw not being a Premium Member in my face. He was also not one, so I really didn't understand the dig, but it creates castes of members. Make the divide too big and the site will begin to decline.

I got one for you. I posted a wtb ad. I had one member send me a PM asking how much I am willing to pay? But it gets better i had another Pm from a membe who said he had to at reasonable prices but get this. He said "but you will have to wait until this other member decides if he wants them. The other member happened to be the guy asking "how much I am willing to pay"? That's right he saw my post tried to hook up with another member to buy a pair he didn't have just to flip them to me. How's that for community? I passed on that member and contacted the member that had to pairs a few weeks later asking the outcome. He said " oh the other member bailed on me". Imagine that

I hope it's no one I know or think of as being upstanding on the forum.... Despicable. Literally makes me shake my head in anger that we have people doing that.

A big block 69 Camaro or Chevelle sold for $5-6K from the dealer. Does that mean they should only be worth 10-12K??

Unfortunately that's just not how value on stuff is determined. There are plenty of examples of Oakley that sold high originally and lost value. Is that fair?

That's not exactly correct because lets says a pair originally sold at 300.00 the pairs esculate to 600.00 where they kind of flatten out and a new buyer buys one at 600.00. That is one way that causes the lost value. Another way is a pair originally sells at 300.00 and lets say there wasnt much interest in them and only a1000 pairs sold but they still had 10k pairs left and they cut the price in half to get rid of them. They the original 1000 buyers who may have been the cause of people even seeing that model takes a substantial loss and it helped the new buyer get a better deal. 3rd way is isn't really losing value but lets say they have a sale of 30% off that temporarily reduces your value (would not be a good time to sell a pair) but that really only give new buyers a great deal on their pair but doesn't neccessarily reduce the value

Nothing kills internet forums faster than giving excess privileges to paid supporters.

Benefits and perks? Cool. Shutting off certain functionality is as good as closing the doors to new members. Regardless of it being a dollar or 35, it creates a divide.

I've already had someone throw not being a Premium Member in my face. He was also not one, so I really didn't understand the dig, but it creates castes of members. Make the divide too big and the site will begin to decline.

I get what you're saying and no offense to you whatsoever, but I've noticed you do a lot with the classifieds so I understand your position. Very passionate about collecting and such, absolutely nothing wrong with that and the amount of traffic that sees the classifieds, I bet over half that would go away if you limit it and then people that are solely here for the classifieds would diminish with it. I always check, listed an item or two, even bought an item or two, but the classifieds to me are a bonus to any forum.

This site isn't free nor do the owners make a penny off the classifieds, but if you limit the classifieds to premium members, you're right, 75% of the activity on this forum would cease to exist. And I will say with this being such a small forum and the limited amount of things that can be discussed (i.e. Do a search, this has been covered - yes, just like any other forum), I understand NOT limited the classifieds to premium members. But at the risk of turning this place into eBay, 14 days and 15 posts or whatever it is isn't gonna make a crook (use that term loosely) an honest seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back