• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rumor: New X-Metal

Will you acquire the new release if it exists?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, and don't get me wrong, I'm enthusiastic about the new glasses and am glad that they're pushing the envelope some more.

It's just that my original concern was exactly like that, that people who didn't know the awesome originals would assume that they were on par with the new product. Which is why I'm glad they at least clearly made the point that they were different.
Exactly my point as well. They had no reason to point out these aren't the original Xmetals other than to comfort communities like ours. It means a lot to me that they were willing to extend the olive branch and acknowledge our concerns.

Its hard to say anything bad about Luxottica cause they're managing the brand so well. The expansion of o-stores, vaults, and the pivot from a niche market into a wide spread sports market has been highly successful. Its hard to argue about financials when they are kicking a$$ and taking names in net income on the balance sheet

McDonalds owns market share, prime locations and makes money hand over fist vs the competition. So does Wal-Mart. They still both sell garbage and have a "cheap" image vs the competition. Just because Oakley has a nice balance sheet doesn't mean jack to me (especially when traded under the combined LUX stock banner where mother ship is floating the operation as a whole) unless I owned tons of stock- I don't. I'm a consumer. And since the PB 1 I haven't purchased ONE Oakley product. And ironically that's the last product JJ had anything directly to do with which says something. So these, combined with the LUX pricing structure of likely $500 will keep me away. I didn't want to buy original X Metals for $200 at dealer cost prices on eBay, I sure as hell won't spend more than that for these.

I'm not trying to be negative but I am something of a purist. I WILL actually CONSIDER these depending on price point and presentation and, again, given my essentially walking away from the company in terms of new product that's a nod to them. But for now....I'm mostly not holding my breath

here are my two cents on the entire saga. I am not as upset as I thought I would be or as much as other members. But I wish Oakley would of went above and beyond in expectations for a new chapter in X-metals... Meaning I am not against the two new models, who knows they might even be a could story arch in the new chapter, I just wish they would of started the new chapter with say a Romeo 3 or something of the sort that all x-metal fanatics like @MJLSr can relate too.
bro I think marcus is relating quit very well. I think I see in the older post that he is planning of buying every colorway of the madmans lol.

here are my two cents on the entire saga. I am not as upset as I thought I would be or as much as other members. But I wish Oakley would of went above and beyond in expectations for a new chapter in X-metals... Meaning I am not against the two new models, who knows they might even be a good story arch in the new chapter, I just wish they would of started the new chapter with say a Romeo 3 or something of the sort that all x-metal fanatics like @MJLSr can relate too.
+1 well said

Here's a hypothetical question (that maybe has been asked but I'm not going to read through 70+ pages), if they were to resurrect the X-metal name, what metal would be acceptable? Aluminum? Magnesium? Some kind of alloy? Obviously it would have to be easier to work with than titanium like the X-metals. This is just a thought that's been rolling around in my noggin. Also, when are the Badman/Madman being released? I see a few have them and I know they're coming out soon but I haven't seen the actual date.

Here's a hypothetical question (that maybe has been asked but I'm not going to read through 70+ pages), if they were to resurrect the X-metal name, what metal would be acceptable? Aluminum? Magnesium? Some kind of alloy? Obviously it would have to be easier to work with than titanium like the X-metals. This is just a thought that's been rolling around in my noggin. Also, when are the Badman/Madman being released? I see a few have them and I know they're coming out soon but I haven't seen the actual date.
wp_ss_20150202_0003.png

Oh they actually ARE calling these X-metals huh? Well I guess that answers that. And explains why everybody's up in arms over it. Aluminum isn't all that exotic to be called X-metal, but hey it's metal. The 15th. Cool. Thanks!

So it appears Oakley has redefined the term X-Metal to mean more of a design philosophy, rather than just a material sunglasses were made of.

Wasn't part of the marketing that X-Metals were glasses, and they were made out of X-Metal? Not saying the two are inherently linked, but it seems in my head there was always a distinction of some kind. Especially since X-Metal has been used on non-X-Metal pairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back