• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The Rarest X METALS............

So thinking along the X metal Line, why wouldn't Why 3's be considered a rare x metal? They were only produced for a single year, and as far as I know they were x metal.

Official Oakley description below....

http://au.oakley.com/women/products/1243/2597

"HIGH DEFINITION OPTICS® (HDO®) combines patented optics and PLUTONITE® lens material that provides 100% UV filtering and unsurpassed impact protection.
Optical engineering without boundaries, this rimless eyewear offers a wide-open vista in three optional lens shapes. It uses X METAL®, a titanium alloy to retain its precision optics in a comfortable three-point fit. The earstems carry soft UNOBTAINIUM® earsocks that increase grip with perspiration. PLUTONITE® lens material maintains durable protection against harmful UV rays.
Prescription ready."

I dont think it's a mistake. Every product description for the Why3 states X metal. Including RX line of Why3. Cant imagine Oakley Marketing making that huge of an error.

Yes, it's a mistake. And Oakley's website has been notorious with little description errors here and there for years. In general, marketing people are not known for detailed accuracy.

The only x-metal frames are R1, Mars / Craters, Juliet, XX, Penny, Half X, R2, and XS. Those are the only frames produced at the Nevada plant, and the Nevada plant was the only place producing x-metals.

Believe it or don't. And feel free to check out o-review's database for additional info.

So thinking along the X metal Line, why wouldn't Why 3's be considered a rare x metal? They were only produced for a single year, and as far as I know they were x metal.

Official Oakley description below....

http://au.oakley.com/women/products/1243/2597

"HIGH DEFINITION OPTICS® (HDO®) combines patented optics and PLUTONITE® lens material that provides 100% UV filtering and unsurpassed impact protection.
Optical engineering without boundaries, this rimless eyewear offers a wide-open vista in three optional lens shapes. It uses X METAL®, a titanium alloy to retain its precision optics in a comfortable three-point fit. The earstems carry soft UNOBTAINIUM® earsocks that increase grip with perspiration. PLUTONITE® lens material maintains durable protection against harmful UV rays.
Prescription ready."

I do believe my Why 3's are Titanium. I've got a sweet collection of them now.

The Why 3s are indeed made of X-metal, or Oakley's own titanium alloy blend. It's not considered part of the X-metal lineup because the line has a certain design language that the early Whys did not fit into. Plus Oakley was weird about how they classified things back then, such as how the Hatchet eventually found it's way into the Wire lineup after the O-Luminum line dissipated. There was another pair that had X-metal lugs in its earsteams as well, but the pair's name escapes me at the moment.

Latest Posts

Back