• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Usernames And Profanity

Here's the deal....I have a 14 year old and a 4 year old. I have three 22 inch widescreens. My 14 year old knows every word in the book, trust me...I'm not stupid, she knows. But, my 4 year old does not. He's learning to read...he can see words on my screens across the room...I don't want to run the risk of him seeing something he shouldnt. And I don't think because of that I should have to only come here at night when he's asleep. Am I offended? No. Do I think such is in bad taste? Yes....but to each their own. But its not just about me, so when it comes to something like language? Sorry, I come down on the side of moderating language a bit more. I'm trying to raise a young gentleman, he doesn't need to see four letter words

Seriously? You want to put a ban on "creative" usernames but you still find it ok to have a huge post with firearms laying around this board? I would rather have my son talk the worst language ever than to see him glorify weapons.

Mikkelf said:
Seriously? You want to put a ban on "creative" usernames but you still find it ok to have a huge post with firearms laying around this board? I would rather have my son talk the worst language ever than to see him glorify weapons.

No offense, but that is the Danish, and frankly the European mindset. Firearms are nothing more than Oakleys or playing video games. I'm getting the impression that most here know most of the swears and curses that are used daily, and banning usernames with such "creativity" is, in my opinion, not of much use. My brother, aged 13, surfs this forum as well, and there's absolutely nothing on here, that he hasn't seen or heard in school or at friends' houses.

But honestly, we should all be able to keep a sober tone on here, and it's very rare I see anything that isn't pg-rated. To me, a username with profanity, is just an indication of the person behind that username.. To me it's immature and unnecessary. It shouldn't be necessary to regulate usernames - one should be able to see the uselessness of a username with profanity.

Just my two cents.

Ps. Love the firearms thread. I love that firearms can be considered a hobby and sport - I wish it wasn't frowned upon here in Europe and Denmark.

Don't click on it if you're scared of guns. Ask nicely that it be removed, put in off-topic, etc if you're greatly concerned about the well being of your child after he sees a few pictures of guns on the computer.

See, this is why nothing should be done. We're now defining what is and isn't considered offensive, which is a personal and cultural thing, no one will be 100% happy with everything but I think we're all 95% happy with things exactly as they are.

For the love of God, can people stop trying to police things on this forum!

jk-27 said:
See, this is why nothing should be done. We're now defining what is and isn't considered offensive, which is a personal and cultural thing, no one will be 100% happy with everything but I think we're all 95% happy with things exactly as they are.

For the love of God, can people stop trying to police things on this forum!

I second this. These are wise words.!

Rustpot - you are clearly very sensitive about the gun thread - that is fine. But please see my post above in the larger picture. I don't really care about the gun thread. I was just really surprised that people owning guns could care about what to me seems like very innocent language. 'Profane' language don't kill people -unless of course you giggle yourself to death.

Jk-27 - good post. Back to talking sunglasses.