• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Volt lenses Review

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I have to disagree with your comment on fit and quality. If the fit is poor, then the quality of the lens doesn't really matter. You can buy a high quality shoe but if it doesn't fit then what's the use. If a company like Revant/Volt makes a proclamation on quality, then carry a product that fits first. If a Bvanq or Seek carries a poor quality lens, so be it. It at least has to fit the frame before a review on quality can be given.
You're welcome.

That's not what I said though.

Here's my advice. Spend all your money searching for quality aftermarket lenses with documented independent testing verifying the claims every single one of them makes: Quality Equal to OEM.

After you've spent that money and time buying and returning several pairs of lenses from different vendors that are actually the same company, OEM lenses will still be around. Then you can buy those.

Bought a set of green volt lenses for my Gascans and really liked them. Had a reddish view thru them, which I really liked for fishing. But, they scratched way too easy. After a few fishing trips where they never came off my face the scratches multiplied. Went back to original Ice Blue Pol lenses. Bought a pair of basically BIP to quickly replace the destroyed lenses that came on a pair of XX TIO2. Haven't scratched them but a tiny bit of hand sanitizer left on my hand brushed against them a wiped off the reflective coating. Meh, they were only $17 bucks and newer permanent lenses should be here tomorrow.

Also I bought a set of Purple/Red lenses from Matvey for my Juliet's and love the look.

Bought a set of green volt lenses for my Gascans and really liked them. Had a reddish view thru them, which I really liked for fishing. But, they scratched way too easy. After a few fishing trips where they never came off my face the scratches multiplied. Went back to original Ice Blue Pol lenses. Bought a pair of basically BIP to quickly replace the destroyed lenses that came on a pair of XX TIO2. Haven't scratched them but a tiny bit of hand sanitizer left on my hand brushed against them a wiped off the reflective coating. Meh, they were only $17 bucks and newer permanent lenses should be here tomorrow.

Also I bought a set of Purple/Red lenses from Matvey for my Juliet's and love the look.
When it comes to Juliet lenses, have you given Ikon a try? I've tried a few pairs for a few different frames. Fit well, look good, vision quality is awesome. Well made, IMO.

This is factually wrong.

LASIK surgery is used to correct near/far sightedness. I've seen countless people on the internet imply that wearing glasses with distortions will damage your eyes. This is constantly repeated by non-expert laymen (like yourself, no offense). Being a non-expert myself, I tried to find some more information from someone who was an expert. I could find only opinion of an actual, qualified expert amidst all of the uninformed opinions:

http://www.thestar.com/life/2012/03/30/sunglasses_test_shows_expensive_lenses_arent_always_best.html said:
Wearing lenses with a bit of blur might give you a headache or eye strain — and deeper squint lines. “There’s no evidence it would cause permanent structural eye damage,” says Dr. John Lloyd, ophthalmologist at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.

So there you have it. Distortion can cause temporary discomfort. It will affect some people differently than others. But it does not cause permanent eye damage.

There are some things to point out, though. Volt non-polarized lenses are polycarbonate, which are impact and 100% UV rated because the material itself has those properties. Most, if not all, Volt polarized lenses are made of triacetate, which does not have the same impact rating and UV protection (it requires additional UV protection treatment, which is not always effective). UV and impact protection are the most important things a sunglass should do.

Distortions or not, Volt non-polarized polycarbonate lenses will not damage your eyes. If you get headaches, they're not for you. If you don't get headaches or other side effects, you should be fine wearing them from a health perspective. The polarized triacetate lenses I would avoid, due to lower impact rating and uncertain UV protection given the underlying material used.

This is factually wrong.

LASIK surgery is used to correct near/far sightedness. I've seen countless people on the internet imply that wearing glasses with distortions will damage your eyes. This is constantly repeated by non-expert laymen (like yourself, no offense). Being a non-expert myself, I tried to find some more information from someone who was an expert. I could find only opinion of an actual, qualified expert amidst all of the uninformed opinions:

So there you have it. Distortion can cause temporary discomfort. It will affect some people differently than others. But it does not cause permanent eye damage.

There are some things to point out, though. Volt non-polarized lenses are polycarbonate, which are impact and 100% UV rated because the material itself has those properties. Most, if not all, Volt polarized lenses are made of triacetate, which does not have the same impact rating and UV protection (it requires additional UV protection treatment, which is not always effective). UV and impact protection are the most important things a sunglass should do.

Distortions or not, Volt non-polarized polycarbonate lenses will not damage your eyes. If you get headaches, they're not for you. If you don't get headaches or other side effects, you should be fine wearing them from a health perspective. The polarized triacetate lenses I would avoid, due to lower impact rating and uncertain UV protection given the underlying material used.
I'm still happy wearing my optically perfect or as close to perfect OEM lenses and not worry about after markets at all.

I've happened to know a few eye doctors who have told me themselves they would never subject themselves to inferior quality lenses that are optically inferior for risk of damage to the eyes. But you know. That's them telling me personally. Not something I've found online.

I'm still happy wearing my optically perfect or as close to perfect OEM lenses and not worry about after markets at all.

Oakleys aren't optically perfect. All polycarbonate lenses, Oakley included, are going to be optically inferior to glass lenses like Costa del Mar, Maui Jim, etc. So you are compromising optical quality by buying Oakley. The debate is over how much you're compromising, not if you're compromising.

It's perfectly fine that you prefer Oakley lenses, just as others should be allowed to prefer other options if they have valid reasons. Opinions are fine, but calling Oakley's optically perfect is factually false. Implying they are higher optical quality than all other options is factually false. Costa, Maui, and even Walmart or Costco's vision department can make an optically superior glass lens. There are aftermarket polycarbonate lenses available from Zeiss, and there's no reason to believe these are optically inferior. Implying other brands have distortion that will hurt your eyes is just plain factually wrong.

Saying that Oakleys are superior to triacetate aftermarket lenses is factually true, and I wholeheartedly agree. Optical distortion is the least of the concerns, although tests have been done here to show they are inferior. UV protection is by far the biggest issue and then comes impact protection.

I've happened to know a few eye doctors who have told me themselves they would never subject themselves to inferior quality lenses that are optically inferior for risk of damage to the eyes. But you know. That's them telling me personally. Not something I've found online.

Optometrist, ophthalmologist, or optician? Are these techs or actual medical doctors? Do they have published studies they can refer? If so, I'd honestly be very eager to read them. They must be getting their opinions from somewhere, hopefully medical studies they were taught in medical school and not just guess, hunches, or old wives tales. Here's an example of an eye related old wives tale that even doctors believe, despite it being factually wrong (as reported by the British Medical Journal in 2007):

http://www.livescience.com/18076-medical-myths-doctors-countdown.html said:
Myth: Reading in dim light ruins your eyesight....
Fact: The researchers found no evidence that reading in dim light causes permanent eye damage. It can cause eye strain and temporarily decreased acuity, which subsides after rest.

This is why it's important to question our assumptions and look for facts to support or disprove them.

Also, I really like Oakley frames. Nylon (O-matter) is an awesome material. Their styles are great. This is why I like Oakley sunglasses. I just like other lenses in their frames, for my usage needs.

Oakleys aren't optically perfect. All polycarbonate lenses, Oakley included, are going to be optically inferior to glass lenses like Costa del Mar, Maui Jim, etc. So you are compromising optical quality by buying Oakley. The debate is over how much you're compromising, not if you're compromising.

It's perfectly fine that you prefer Oakley lenses, just as others should be allowed to prefer other options if they have valid reasons. Opinions are fine, but calling Oakley's optically perfect is factually false. Implying they are higher optical quality than all other options is factually false. Costa, Maui, and even Walmart or Costco's vision department can make an optically superior glass lens. There are aftermarket polycarbonate lenses available from Zeiss, and there's no reason to believe these are optically inferior. Implying other brands have distortion that will hurt your eyes is just plain factually wrong.

Saying that Oakleys are superior to triacetate aftermarket lenses is factually true, and I wholeheartedly agree. Optical distortion is the least of the concerns, although tests have been done here to show they are inferior. UV protection is by far the biggest issue and then comes impact protection.

Optometrist, ophthalmologist, or optician? Are these techs or actual medical doctors? Do they have published studies they can refer? If so, I'd honestly be very eager to read them. They must be getting their opinions from somewhere, hopefully medical studies they were taught in medical school and not just guess, hunches, or old wives tales. Here's an example of an eye related old wives tale that even doctors believe, despite it being factually wrong (as reported by the British Medical Journal in 2007):

This is why it's important to question our assumptions and look for facts to support or disprove them.

Also, I really like Oakley frames. Nylon (O-matter) is an awesome material. Their styles are great. This is why I like Oakley sunglasses. I just like other lenses in their frames, for my usage needs.

You're gonna have to debate this with someone else who likes to argue about how Oakley is perfect.

I'm happier not wearing glass lenses. I was not even including glass lenses in my thoughts.

I don't go to Walmart or Costco.

I have all my stuff made by Oakley.

They aren't techs. They're actual doctors.

I tried to reply to most but sorry I'm not in a typing mood.

Maybe @kronin323 wants to play?

Here's a fact, if I start a my junk is big thread how many members are going to put up or shut up? This whole whose optics are better is really getting old. Everyone is entitled to post but it like beating a dead horse. We can explain why this lens is better blah, blah, blah, people with sensitive eyes will detect a level of distortion in a poor quality lens, they will just not use it as it will give them headaches. I don't want to deal with headaches every day. So it's like the person who wears glasses with scratches covering the lenses, they may not care but one scratch in my field of view and I'm done with that pair. With that in respect, to each his own, buy what you like, will wear, can afford, etc and be happy with it.

We all can read and make a determination for ourselves to what we will use. Just because someone uses a particular aftermarket brand of lens doesn't mean everyone will. I have tried a couple and only one company has impressed me so far and I'm not pushing their brand down anyone's throat either.

Back