• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Who Should Replace Shawn White as Oak-Lux's Main "Thing That Is On Everything"?

Herbsley

Steadily Retiring
Durham, UK
This is not meant as a 'diss thread' by any means - but I simply continue to scratch my head about Oakley's obsession (and I use that word without exaggeration) with their poster-child Mr S White.

Is he really THAT big in the USA that Oakley should be hanging so much on their opinion of his appeal?

I mean, I can understand back in the day getting someone like Michael Jordan on board. Even though he played his sport in the USA, he was genuinely recognised as a global star. Big-name talented player, huge Nike contract, starred in a bizarre Looney Tunes film, etc. So yeah, I can understand why Oakley put him in a pair of Mars and a silly hat, and took some photos of him.

But SW?
Really?

Who knows, perhaps he is in fact a huge star in the USA, and it is my UK residence which puts me in a position of ignorant bliss regarding his status. But then perhaps that is the point I'm trying to make. He is not enough of a global presence as an athlete or even as a (I hate this word) 'celebrity'. Granted, I understand he must be pretty good at his chosen athletic activity - given that he wins medals and championships etc - but I worry that as his Oakley Collection grows (and grows) the brand is putting too much faith in their gamble on the general public's opinion of one man.

With girl's hair.

So I put it to you all for opinions.
Everything I read on this Forum is pretty much negative or, at best, indifferent about SW and his status it seems as the main face of Oakley these days - way above the other athletes they sponsor. For example, I for one could care less.
But folks on here - i.e. collectors - still buy his glasses because they need to complete a collection, or because they look nice, or whatever. I understand this. But thinking of Joe Public, who I assume must also buy Oakley sunglasses (even though I almost never see any), is Mr White such a huge star in the USA that Oakley are right to place so much financial faith in the man in order to attract new business worldwide?

And another question - is there another proper global superstar (athlete or otherwise) that they could/should be using instead?

At the risk of sounding like an examination paper . . . .
Discuss.

...opinion of one man.

With girl's hair.

hahaha. holy crap that made me laugh so hard!

Whenever I see SW, I can only think of carrot top, and that guy is friggin' scary

enhanced-buzz-25225-1289337654-17.jpg

To be honest, I know about him from snowboarding, but I do think he's only got a certain level of 'status' in the younger generations.

I have a feeling that nowadays terrorists are more popular than pro athletes...

Thinking of athletes that will be known all around the world, I would say: Usain Bolt?

He would be a great SW replacement, but you got to keep in mind that SW embodies the spirit of Oakley. He's freestyle. Oakley started with BMX grips. That's freestyle.

I cannot stand SW personally. The dude is a total douche!

you got to keep in mind that SW embodies the spirit of Oakley. He's freestyle. Oakley started with BMX grips. That's freestyle.

Should they not be moving on though?

There must be SOMEONE out there more suitable?

The phrase "SW embodies the spirit of Oakley" makes me want to back my car over my collection.

I don't follow skiing/snowboarding so I don't really know of Shaun White exploits, I know he's a famous person but that's it. Why is he a douche? Is he a prima donna or something?

As for Carrot Top, before he took steroids to beef up he was actually a very funny skinny dude. He was rake thin!

Fernando Alonso is an Oakley endorsed guy, he travels the world participating in the most watched sporting event after the Olympics & World Cup, and is a world class sports star to boot. He's just not American. As Oakley proudly say 'Made in the USA' maybe their number one endorsee has to be American?

I think you make excellent points, JK.
Both about Alonso being more suitable as a worldwide sportsman, but also about the No 1 endorsee needing to be US in order to fit with Oakley's brand ethos.

So . . . who??

And hey, does it NEED to be an athlete or sportsman/person?

:confused:

Why wouldn't Oakley want to sponsor this guy. He has Gold Medals in everything and consistently does well when he competes. I don't think a company would drop someone like that
As far as other athletes.....I would think they could use some Baseball players and have some success.

I for one would love to see a Dennis Rodman line at Oakley. We all know that will never happen.

Why wouldn't Oakley want to sponsor this guy. He has Gold Medals in everything and consistently does well when he competes. I don't think a company would drop someone like that
As far as other athletes.....I would think they could use some Baseball players and have some success.

Again, baseball has limited worldwide appeal.

I just think if Oakley really want to market their products to a worldwide audience, and spread their wares effectively on the global stage, then they need to think of an ambassador with true global presence. I don't think they are thinking outside of the USA enough in their marketing - which is fine for most companies, but not good enough if they really want to conquer worldwide sunglass sales as a leading global brand.

But perhaps they don't think that way any more.

Back in the golden days, we had Jordan wearing Mars, which was HUGE, and a funny hat (which was also pretty big).
And then Lance Armstrong - hand it to him - a great Oakley ambassador worldwide over the years.
We've had Oakleys in massive film series such as Mission Impossible, Blade, X-Men, etc.

And now we've got a snowboarder.

Back