• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Badman madman hinges

Chris515000

On the way back!
South Carolina
i have a theory on the hinges. One of my older badman I put them on today and the arm were really tight and felt like my other did before it broke!!!! I was so worried that it was gonna break. It was loose and the spring wasn't working right. So I had a thought or a last ditch effort to just run water over the hinges In the sink. Once I did that it was like it was brand new. No resistance , spring worked ,everything. Do you guys think that over time dust gets built up in the hinges and causes it to hang up and pop the hinge! I know it's a poor design but would periodically rinsing the hinge and or oiling them would help them last longer? Your thoughts guys!!!

Last edited:
i have a theory on tne hinges. One of my older badman I put them on today and the arm were really tight and felt like my other did before it broke!!!! I was so worried that it was gonna break. It was loose and the spring wasn't working right. So I had a thought or a last ditch effort to just run water over the hinges In the sink. Once I did that it was like it was brand new. No resistance , spring worked ,everything. Do you guys think that over time dust gets built up in the hinges and causes it to hang up and pop the hinge! I know it's a poor design but would periodically rinsing the hinge and or oiling them would help them last longer? Your thoughts guys!!!
Throw in trash. :)

i have a theory on the hinges. One of my older badman I put them on today and the arm were really tight and felt like my other did before it broke!!!! I was so worried that it was gonna break. It was loose and the spring wasn't working right. So I had a thought or a last ditch effort to just run water over the hinges In the sink. Once I did that it was like it was brand new. No resistance , spring worked ,everything. Do you guys think that over time dust gets built up in the hinges and causes it to hang up and pop the hinge! I know it's a poor design but would periodically rinsing the hinge and or oiling them would help them last longer? Your thoughts guys!!!
here's your answer, I like them too.. Gonna give you my observation first..I bought a pair of xti badman's they felt very heavy and wouldn't stay on my head however they got stepped on by a kid they held up.. But the hinge did lock months after that, the arm just flopped around after that, I now have 2 brand new pairs one Ferrari one xti silver still in box..I ama home machinist as well making gun parts.. This hinge system is a pressure cam lock the spring puts lots of pressure on a small can lobe tip inside.. After lots of open closing you start to feel the grinding that's metal to metal.. So after the lobe wears off the spring goes loose.. And no lock... all those parts should be hardened tool steel..but... Anyway use this dry graphite line, it is liquid so it will capillary into all the parts then it dries like powder..it is also black as axle grease..I also have fluoridated Teflon, slicker than a cat's ass..but im worried it will run onto the lens I don't want that near my eyes, as i run these under water to clean daily....so anyway try this, may free the damaged linkage..?

IMG_20170703_163511.jpg

Well the pair that was in question finally gave up the ghost!!!! Lol! It was a pair that I got from someone else but I have 5 pairs thAt are new so I can do this to them. Now I'm at Oakley /lux warranty mercy on tne one pair!!![/QUOi would love to disassemble the hinge, should have done mine, also have a $750 pair of subzero I'm scared to wear in the safe.. Lol were just overgrown kids

Well the pair that was in question finally gave up the ghost!!!! Lol! It was a pair that I got from someone else but I have 5 pairs thAt are new so I can do this to them. Now I'm at Oakley /lux warranty mercy on tne one pair!!!
Oh, and good luck on the warranty.. Hope it goes well..I would up paying a pro rate on mine guess cause i got a discount.. Let us know.

Back