• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can the iridium coating affect the base tint appearance?

@kronin323 a little input on the Iridium mirror coatings... First of all thanks for all your hard work. You are confirming what a lot of us were thinking, also proving some people wrong in thinking that each lens color had a completely unique base tint. I'm totally blown away on the violet lens too... Going from contrast to completely neutral! The input I wanted to give is that being in the industry I've always heard the mirror coatings are applied in layers. It used to be 3 layers. Then it went to 5 layers when they added base layers for adhesion, and top coatings for durability. Now most premium coatings are 7 layers of more since adding a hydrophobic and oleophobic later. These layers do have to work together to get the desired protection, colors transmitted, colors reflected, and colors absorbed (by destructive interference). Basically each layer would have a different color, because it had a different function. Similar to anti-reflective coatings some colors will pass through the first layer of "iridium" be reflected back off the second layer, but then be cancelled out by the incoming wavelengths again. So some colors are reflected (ie violet, or blue, on violet Iridium), some colors are transmitted (like yellow/orange colors on violet Iridium), and other colors (wavelengths) are cancelled it all together while "bouncing" between the layers! Hopefully that helps explain why Ruby died what it does. It really isn't Luxottica coating less layers. I personally believe something in the formula changed years ago, and perhaps the curvature steepened 0.75-1.25 base, but I don't have any original Juliet's to compare! Thanks guys.

lol I didn't take a pic of that... ;)

But, for the greater audience, the story goes like this...

The day Rustpot's donated lenses arrived, I get a PM from him asking if I got them. I told him yes but I hadn't opened it yet. He responded with a cryptic "they may not look like fire at first" or something like that...

So I open it and what do I find? They'd been spray-painted a flat white, like a primer, all over both sides. I'm like, "WTF? Did he do that as a prank or something?"

But it turned out to be sprayed plastidip and it peeled off quite easily. And he didn't do it to prank me; he had been using them as an opaque backing to another set of lenses in his case - by blocking the backlight it made the iridium of the other set stand out better. Good idea...
Ha! Similar to what they do to a lot of hollywood lenses.

Also, way back to the beginning, the overwhelming majority of iridium lenses use a base tint that is also used as a stand alone lens color. But there have been a few custom tints over the years.

i think G26 iridium has that purple look from inside is due to iridium coating...because at the edges of a G26 lens..it looks pretty clear from inside..only purple at the center of the lens.

Last edited:
i think G26 iridium has that purple look from inside is due to iridium coating...because at the edges of a G26 lens..it looks pretty clear from inside..only purple at the center of the lens.

If you've got a set you'd like to donate, I'll be glad to perform this test on them and post the results, removing all doubt...

I've got a WTB linked in the OP; the ones from the original list still outstanding are G26, Chrome, and Sapphire.

At this point I think it's already been proven conclusively that the iridium can affect the base tint appearance and further exercises would be to discover what the effect is on specific lenses.

I think I have a pair of Sapphire polarized that I was going to custom cut and had a bit of a snafu on the rough cutting and took off too much to use them in my Juliets if you want them I'll see if I can find them and send them off to you (free of charge)

I think I have a pair of Sapphire polarized that I was going to custom cut and had a bit of a snafu on the rough cutting and took off too much to use them in my Juliets if you want them I'll see if I can find them and send them off to you (free of charge)

Thanks, I appreciate the offer. However, I've been hesitant to do this on polarized lenses. Non-polars still have the base tint actually in the polycarbonate but for a while now with polars they've been applying the base tint as a layer over a clear polarized blank. I'm concerned the iridium removal process will also remove or damage the base tint layer and invalidate the results.

Latest Posts

Back