• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cutting Lenses - What Works

Hey people is there anybody who actually has cut big taco lenses to OTTs? The cutting sheet on 1st page of this thread says that tacos are donors for OTTs. I've got both in hand now and to me it seems that tacos are JUST on the edge and might fit but I'm not sure if they actually will. I won't be able to catch it on photo but when holding in hand like on the photo i feel on my fingers that OTT lens are just a bit bigger. I don't want to mess up the thread or something just wanted to ask if anybody actuall has cut tacos for OTTs? Maybe a photo of a chopped and installed pair or something?
View attachment 221533
The OTT looks like they might be round but as you noted they are actually somewhat oval/oblong. From my experience the BT is indeed a tad on the short side for the vertical dimension of the OTT- plenty of horizontal but just enough vertical. You can orient the BT slightly askew/off-center to minimize the flat spots at the top and bottom and if the flatter spots really irritate you then rotate the lens slightly after inserting in the orbital tray of the OTT and the flatness disappears.
ott 2.jpg

Test fit in a emerald ott, emerald still in left side:
ott 1.jpg

Lastly, minimize test fittings- O matter will tolerate only so much in and out.
There's Frank's cue!

Last edited:
The OTT looks like they might be round but as you noted they are actually somewhat oval/oblong. From my experience the BT is indeed a tad on the short side for the vertical dimension of the OTT- plenty of horizontal but just enough vertical. You can orient the BT slightly askew/off-center to minimize the flat spots at the top and bottom and if the flatter spots really irritate you then rotate the lens slightly after inserting in the orbital tray of the OTT and the flatness disappears.
View attachment 223176
View attachment 223177
There's Frank's cue!
TWSS ;)

View attachment 223176
View attachment 223177
There's Frank's cue!
Thank you @CarGuy I'm sitting here at work with vernier in hand and just can't see tacos work. They are really close but I think that final outcome would be a bit disappointing. For now I'm staying on my exovistas and deeply ****ing scratched fires in the box.

Do you know if the new Valve will fit XS?

I have the same question. The Valve does have the same curvature of 8.75. But I don't know if it is large enough.

As a side note there are some X Squared lenses currently on sale on Oakley.com (Bronze, Slate, and Gray) but says that those lenses have a curvature of 6-base. Does that mean that there is a mistake on the website. Shouldn't the curvature be for the XS lenses be 8.75?

I have the same question. The Valve does have the same curvature of 8.75. But I don't know if it is large enough.

As a side note there are some X Squared lenses currently on sale on Oakley.com (Bronze, Slate, and Gray) but says that those lenses have a curvature of 6-base. Does that mean that there is a mistake on the website. Shouldn't the curvature be for the XS lenses be 8.75?

Oakley made a typo! I think that is true! I love finding typos! I've seen those (boring) colors for sale also lol. Didn't notice that however. Anyway, I believe the valve should work! But I haven't cut one yet. My XS lenses don't sell fast enough to keep in stock. I just cut them as needed. Let me know if you guys want me to cut one for you. I'll order it in, and if it doesn't work you won't be responsible for payment on it. I'll just cut for Juliet instead and sell on eBay! @1alembic @Einlanzero12

Can anyone confirm that Plaintiff can be cut for XX without rotation (good for polarized donors)? I know the spreadsheet says it works, I was just concerned about the tear-drop "aviator" lens shape.

Back