• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Does LT% or an Iridium coating make a difference on how much glare you see???

Electronaut

Oakley Enthusiast
USA
I was wondering... Does LT% or an iridium coating make a difference on glare? If you have two similar models of lenses (both polarized, both have iridium coating, etc.), do they cut glare equally?

I decided to do some testing. The lenses I used were:
Prizm Deep Water - Polarized lens, 12% LT, Iridium coated.
Black Iridium Polarized - Polarized lens, 9% LT, iridium coated.
Prizm Daily - Polarized lens, 14% LT, no iridium coating.
Ironman brand sunglasses - Non polarized, around 14% LT, shiny coating (not iridium).

The testing was done on water as well as from sun glare on car windows. First was the Ironman, and as you can expect, without polarization, it was the worst of the bunch even with some sort of shiny coating. It did almost nothing on the water or to car windows except make everything look a shade darker with a brown hue. The next lens was the Prizm daily, which performed better than the ironman's, but I felt were not good enough for my preferences against glare. They did reduce glare to some extent on the water as well as glare from car windows, but I felt it wasn't enough. At 14% LT, it may have been affected compared to the other lenses with lower LT, but I think it is more due to a lack of iridium coating. The Black Iridium Polarized lens cuts glare like magic. It takes the piercing sunlight right off the water and using them while driving is very relaxing on your eyes. They are a less versatile lens, and don't make colors pop, but are simply the best lens Oakley offers for super bright conditions or for cutting glare. The Prizm Deep Water is also a fantastic lens for removing glare. I kept switching between the BIP and the Prizm Deep Water's to make sure, and the lens worked great on the water as well as on car windows. There actually was a difference in the BIP and Prizm Deep water's glare cutting abilities, but it was within 2-3%. Both are very similar in how much glare they cut out, but there is a subtle difference. I think A 9% and a 12% LT lens that are both polarized and have an iridium coating perform nearly the same. I also think LT% does have a slight effect on how much glare the lens cuts, but I think polarization and iridium coatings are more important when the LT difference is so close.

I was wondering... Does LT% or an iridium coating make a difference on glare? If you have two similar models of lenses (both polarized, both have iridium coating, etc.), do they cut glare equally?

I decided to do some testing. The lenses I used were:
Prizm Deep Water - Polarized lens, 12% LT, Iridium coated.
Black Iridium Polarized - Polarized lens, 9% LT, iridium coated.
Prizm Daily - Polarized lens, 14% LT, no iridium coating.
Ironman brand sunglasses - Non polarized, around 14% LT, shiny coating (not iridium).

The testing was done on water as well as from sun glare on car windows. First was the Ironman, and as you can expect, without polarization, it was the worst of the bunch even with some sort of shiny coating. It did almost nothing on the water or to car windows except make everything look a shade darker with a brown hue. The next lens was the Prizm daily, which performed better than the ironman's, but I felt were not good enough for my preferences against glare. They did reduce glare to some extent on the water as well as glare from car windows, but I felt it wasn't enough. At 14% LT, it may have been affected compared to the other lenses with lower LT, but I think it is more due to a lack of iridium coating. The Black Iridium Polarized lens cuts glare like magic. It takes the piercing sunlight right off the water and using them while driving is very relaxing on your eyes. They are a less versatile lens, and don't make colors pop, but are simply the best lens Oakley offers for super bright conditions or for cutting glare. The Prizm Deep Water is also a fantastic lens for removing glare. I kept switching between the BIP and the Prizm Deep Water's to make sure, and the lens worked great on the water as well as on car windows. There actually was a difference in the BIP and Prizm Deep water's glare cutting abilities, but it was within 2-3%. Both are very similar in how much glare they cut out, but there is a subtle difference. I think A 9% and a 12% LT lens that are both polarized and have an iridium coating perform nearly the same. I also think LT% does have a slight effect on how much glare the lens cuts, but I think polarization and iridium coatings are more important when the LT difference is so close.
So in your opinion, which lens seemed darker? Back iridium polarized or deep water prizm?

So in your opinion, which lens seemed darker? Back iridium polarized or deep water prizm?

This is not actually a straight forward answer. Let me explain.. Looking into brighter light, the BIP and DWP seem to be about the same for how dark your surroundings are while looking through the lens. However, the BIP may be ever so slightly darker, but the biggest difference is that you don't have to squint as much with the BIP if you are looking into bright light or have intense glare compared to the DWP. As for when there are darker lighting conditions, the DWP appears much brighter to the eye than the BIP, which makes it a better lens on cloudy days. DWP almost doesn't even seem to darken that much in darker lighting, as opposed to the BIP which does make everything seem darker in darker lighting, which makes DWP a fantastic variable condition lens and a great lens for cloudy days/ darker lighting. So for lighter conditions, they are almost equal for which is darker, and darker conditions, the BIP makes everything even more dark. Each lens is great at their own thing ;) For 100% bright conditions such as a cloudless, bright sunny day, go with BIP for relaxation on your eyes, and for cloudy days or if you want more contrast, go for the DWP. I've recently switched my daily lens to the DWP as it works great in both bright sunny days and cloudy days. I still pull the BIP out if its super sunny tho! Both are great lenses IMO.

This is not actually a straight forward answer. Let me explain.. Looking into brighter light, the BIP and DWP seem to be about the same for how dark your surroundings are while looking through the lens. However, the BIP may be ever so slightly darker, but the biggest difference is that you don't have to squint as much with the BIP if you are looking into bright light or have intense glare compared to the DWP. As for when there are darker lighting conditions, the DWP appears much brighter to the eye than the BIP, which makes it a better lens on cloudy days. DWP almost doesn't even seem to darken that much in darker lighting, as opposed to the BIP which does make everything seem darker in darker lighting, which makes DWP a fantastic variable condition lens and a great lens for cloudy days/ darker lighting. So for lighter conditions, they are almost equal for which is darker, and darker conditions, the BIP makes everything even more dark. Each lens is great at their own thing ;) For 100% bright conditions such as a cloudless, bright sunny day, go with BIP for relaxation on your eyes, and for cloudy days or if you want more contrast, go for the DWP. I've recently switched my daily lens to the DWP as it works great in both bright sunny days and cloudy days. I still pull the BIP out if its super sunny tho! Both are great lenses IMO.
Thank You! That was a big help

No problem! Which lens/ lenses did you end up choosing?
I have a pair of flax 2.0 with black prizm. I bought black iridium polarized lens for the 2.0. Love them. I also have ruby iridium lens for flax 2.0. I was thinking about going with deep water and drop the black prizm lens.

Back