• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Going to Pittsburgh for a couple weeks... and I'm *gasp* only taking two pairs

KarlBlessing

I should Work at Oakley
West Michigan
Since we're into winter and my back ain't doing so great, this trip out I'm scaling it down. Meaning no camera gear, no drone, no extra toys etc, no 3~4 pairs of shade, or carryon bag (just the small coach shoulder bag, and checked suitcase).

Couldn't really get myself down to just 'one', so these are the two I decided upon looking ahead at mostly a mix of overcast to mostly/partly cloudy with occasional snow predicted.
  • X-Squared Custom (white ceramic or whatever that coating is called) w/ Prizm Maritime
  • Holbrook XL Kokoro w/ Prizm Trail
The Maritime is about the same usability as either Prizm Daily Polarized (which I have in an AF Holbrook) or Prizm Tungsten Polarized (which I have in either Holbrook XL or Whiskers), but it's also the only Prizm lens I have available for the XS. It's a little cooler/neutral and can go down a little darker in my opinion when the overcast gets denser than I was comfortable with on Tungsten (shadow details become harder to see, probably due to higher contrast).

Prizm Trail is brighter and I'm fine with using it most types of days, I like it if I need to get a little more 'pop' to wake me up. It's not polarized though.

That's pretty much what I been reaching for the last couple months, Maritime, Tungsten, or Trail. Haven't touched Deep Water or Shallow Water in a while.

I
Since we're into winter and my back ain't doing so great, this trip out I'm scaling it down. Meaning no camera gear, no drone, no extra toys etc, no 3~4 pairs of shade, or carryon bag (just the small coach shoulder bag, and checked suitcase).

Couldn't really get myself down to just 'one', so these are the two I decided upon looking ahead at mostly a mix of overcast to mostly/partly cloudy with occasional snow predicted.
  • X-Squared Custom (white ceramic or whatever that coating is called) w/ Prizm Maritime
  • Holbrook XL Kokoro w/ Prizm Trail
The Maritime is about the same usability as either Prizm Daily Polarized (which I have in an AF Holbrook) or Prizm Tungsten Polarized (which I have in either Holbrook XL or Whiskers), but it's also the only Prizm lens I have available for the XS. It's a little cooler/neutral and can go down a little darker in my opinion when the overcast gets denser than I was comfortable with on Tungsten (shadow details become harder to see, probably due to higher contrast).

Prizm Trail is brighter and I'm fine with using it most types of days, I like it if I need to get a little more 'pop' to wake me up. It's not polarized though.

That's pretty much what I been reaching for the last couple months, Maritime, Tungsten, or Trail. Haven't touched Deep Water or Shallow Water in a while.
If it snows, I prefer black; but if the 14% of maritime is dark enough for you, that’s fine. I wouldn’t take the Kokoro, attracts too much attention. I also kinda dislike prizm trail in the city, but that’s just personal preference.

I

If it snows, I prefer black; but if the 14% of maritime is dark enough for you, that’s fine. I wouldn’t take the Kokoro, attracts too much attention. I also kinda dislike prizm trail in the city, but that’s just personal preference.
I recall you saying that before about Kokoro, but I didn't want to just go swapping trail out into the Woodgrain. Plus my white XS with red tshocks probably attracts the same kind of attention.

Currently at least 10 days out it looks like Pittsburgh won't get anything more than an inch of snow fall on a day or so during week, will mostly be in the 40s with rain on a couple days but otherwise mostly and partly cloudy on most days. The Prizm is my go to option when it gets too dark for maritime, or too bland looking as it's the only thing I have in the 30%+ range short of low light 75% vlt in a Flak 2.0 xl.

I noticed that all three options I would have likely picked for brighter range are all 14% vlt (maritime, tungsten, prizm Daily), just a matter of tone/contrast from there, maritime been the ideal balance for me. But I can wear trail in full sun without an issue so as long as it's not like looking right into the sun lol.

It feels weird being light. This bag is the only thing I have besides my checked suitcase (which is just clothes and tools).

20211130_153911-01.jpeg

20211130_154036-01.jpeg

And since I don't have cameras or anything like that, figured I'd bring a couple pens.

20211130_154158-01.jpeg

Ps American airline sucks. Still sitting in the plane at the gate here in grand rapids. Been over two hours and will miss the connection flight. Another flight is not available until about 9am in the morning to my final destination.

Edit, ran my little sciatic ass off and made it before final boarding.

Last edited:
I recall you saying that before about Kokoro, but I didn't want to just go swapping trail out into the Woodgrain. Plus my white XS with red tshocks probably attracts the same kind of attention.

Currently at least 10 days out it looks like Pittsburgh won't get anything more than an inch of snow fall on a day or so during week, will mostly be in the 40s with rain on a couple days but otherwise mostly and partly cloudy on most days. The Prizm is my go to option when it gets too dark for maritime, or too bland looking as it's the only thing I have in the 30%+ range short of low light 75% vlt in a Flak 2.0 xl.

I noticed that all three options I would have likely picked for brighter range are all 14% vlt (maritime, tungsten, prizm Daily), just a matter of tone/contrast from there, maritime been the ideal balance for me. But I can wear trail in full sun without an issue so as long as it's not like looking right into the sun lol.
Maybe my eyes are really sensitive from night shift? It would be difficult for me to wear trail in full sun. Perhaps deep in the woods it would work ok.

Back