• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Forum PSA: Fakes Or Discussion Of Fakes Will Not Be Tolerated

I agree it's Only going to secure more our forum, also agree with bouncing boy I suggest a time frame as well, ten post is nothing, and for
Real Oakley enthusiast who are looking for, advice, info on a line etc is worth the wait, I'm recently new to the forum and appreciate the
Way we take care of each other, who ever loves oakleys can wait a few days to get deals going

Honestly I think it should be either/or. If a new member comes on and doesn't post much but sticks around for a couple months vs the person who comes on and makes 1-2 quality posts a day for a week. Either member is in good standing, but both would be denied access and serve to make them feel less welcome IMO.

The 10 post rule is good since it serves to give us *some* history of a new member, so their first post isn't in the exchange area and we know if they're here to unload a set of OTT for crazy-fast-paced-reductions and just trying to jump their post count ASAP to do it. Yet it's still a low enough number someone who rarely posts can do it in a week or two.

The 10 post rule doesn't stop someone from registering, posting and accessing the exchange section within minutes. That's the problem.

Exchange section privileges should be earned.

Yeah, but then anyone can go look at their 10 spammed posts and know they're up to something and not deal with them.

It's better than nothing we had before, cuz a guy with 2 posts you feel apprehensive but not as on guard. And I think it's better than locking things down and making it so people need to earn a "real" membership.

I was on a forum that grew quite a bit, they overhauled the website a few times, and they eventually required a paid membership to access to the commerce/exchange area after several steps of upping the requirements to allow access. I stopped going after that. I had been there for 5-6 years with a few thousand posts and I was downgraded to "Member" from "Member+". Now I know that's not what's being discussed, but it's an example of a forum taking things too far and alienating members and no longer being as welcoming to new members, all in the name of protecting the members. The board owners said something about the exchange area being a perk and if you really need it you'll pay the $10 or some bull.

I think people should earn their place though. Especially if they want to buy or sell items with other established members.

You can't be too lose or too tight, I think a minimum time as a member isn't a lot to ask. People that really want to be here will wait.

First... thanks for running a nice and friendly site. As a new member here I understand the need to limit the exchange forum to "more trusted" individuals. However, when I joined in January it was open and I was looking at a number of items for sale (specifically some Minute Machines offered my Dr. Chop). Then I came back a couple of weeks ago and could not see if they were still available. Is it possible to limit the viewing of those sections to people with 10+ posts and limit thread creation in those sections to people with a higher number (or longer period of time). Just wondering. Thanks again.

If a newly registered member here really wants to be here, the waiting time to access the sales threads won't be a big deal to them. This forum has grown from last year and glad to see that the mods are now stepping up to monitor the forums more closely.

I don't see why someone should have to earn the right to sell something. If you don't feel comfortable buying from them cuz they're new, then don't. It's honestly that simple. Keep making more and more rules, and you won't have to worry about controlling new members, there won't be any. if no one comments on their selling post, it'll die and they won't come back. Everything will sort itself.

Because most of the time new members don't know the rules, don't post pictures and don't have an established history here. I'd much rather buy from someone who's name I've seen before.

I bet if someone got scammed on here there'd be way more people wanting to raise the limits.

Batwolf said:
Because most of the time new members don't know the rules, don't post pictures and don't have an established history here. I'd much rather buy from someone who's name I've seen before.

I bet if someone got scammed on here there'd be way more people wanting to raise the limits.

Then don't buy from them. People wont bite and it'll just die.

Well wait for that to happen. People here are too careful for that to happen I believe.

Back