• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rumor: New X-Metal

Will you acquire the new release if it exists?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
+1

The scoop I got was they are going to be using a lot more carbon fiber and aluminum. Based on the conversation it appears that the Jupiter lite is kinda where they are headed towards. Again it's only info I have received and I highly doubt there will be x metals made the way we know them to be....
thats what ive heard as well.

i guess we just all have to start hoarding...

Well, if Oakley does revive xmetals I hope they find a way of fusing gold(or like gold) to Ti so we don't see fading gold colored parts like in the case of XX. I actually prefer this type of 24k than the juliets or xsquared. Oh and use t5 screws on everything like in the XS. Here's to hoping
fingers-crossed.gif
tumblr_llvzgmdHpE1qc8snk.gif

Reactions: amp
A Full Carbon Juliet Frame or XX or Penny etc........... That would be incredible and also Oakley would immediately have many buyers. But I would bet Oakley never makes anything similar in shape to the X-Metals again. Those days are over and that spot is filled by Frogs, Holbrooks, Fuel Cells, anything plastic and easy.

I actually wouldn't be all that disappointed in a new x-metal that went with cheaper production as long as it used a cool fusion of materials like aluminum, carbon fiber, etc....

Seeing the guy who tried to do a carbon fiber set of juliets, I wonder whether the dude who did the group buy for the carbon fiber looking high quality print ever tried it with a pair of x-metals? Maybe the x-metal isn't suitable as a base or no one wanted to de-value their expensive glasses.

Thanks for posting that video I had never seen it before. So did Oakley lose money on producing X-Metals? If not then why stop producing them?

What I heard from the local O-Store manager and fellow collector, was that it was being shut down due to it being toxic. Not sure what exactly that means, aside of the process produced toxic vapors/waste. He said that it is not possible to manufacture in the sate of California because of their strict environmental rules. He said that the facility was old and needed to be updated, but there were many issues with updating the facility. This is what caused the shutdown.
Not sure how accurate his info is.

well that would make more sense rather than just shutting down a plant that I am sure took millions to build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back