• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rumor: New X-Metal

Will you acquire the new release if it exists?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I heard from the local O-Store manager and fellow collector, was that it was being shut down due to it being toxic. Not sure what exactly that means, aside of the process produced toxic vapors/waste. He said that it is not possible to manufacture in the sate of California because of their strict environmental rules. He said that the facility was old and needed to be updated, but there were many issues with updating the facility. This is what caused the shutdown.
Not sure how accurate his info is.

Titanium dust is very combustible, but I don't think it is particularly toxic. There are guys where I work deburring titanium parts for 30 years without masks and they haven't developed a sixth finger yet. In the X-Metal manufacturing video, one speaker mentions how California disallowed the facility due to its volatility.

The Oakley X-Metal plant was in Dayton, Nevada. As the story goes, they had to go outside of California, where most of their products are made and manufactured, because California wouldn't allow a plant there.

I, like a lot of you got hooked on the Oakley brand because of the X-Metal line. My first pair were Pennys. They got stolen and I liked them so much I bought the same pair again. Now I have a pair of Juliet's and 4 X Squared pairs. Love em! It would be neat to see them come out with a new X Metal.

I would probably buy them depending on how they looked but I definitely agree with the general consensus that titanium is wayyyy better than plastic frames. We know the lenses are good but the frames have to hold up to and xmetals do that so well that they outlast the lenses.

The Oakley X-Metal plant is in Dayton, Nevada. As the story goes, they had to go outside of California, where most of their products are made and manufactured, because California wouldn't allow a plant there.
Its California, what do you expect. It's surprising they allow you to breathe there. The takers are almost at 50% of the population there. Within 5 years it is expected that the Takers will out populate the payers, and the state might go the way of Detroit.

What I heard from the local O-Store manager and fellow collector, was that it was being shut down due to it being toxic. Not sure what exactly that means, aside of the process produced toxic vapors/waste. He said that it is not possible to manufacture in the sate of California because of their strict environmental rules. He said that the facility was old and needed to be updated, but there were many issues with updating the facility. This is what caused the shutdown.
Not sure how accurate his info is.

Thought the manufacturing of the material was located in Nevada? Nonetheless, a product which defined excellence may or may not come out the same again, I hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back