• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Want to buy Oakley for hubby for Xmas-need advice

If you can afford to, maybe consider getting 2 pairs with different lenses? In the end, you probably don't "save" that much on buying an additional lens, over a complete set (especially if you factor in regular swapping).
Hmmm, I hadn't considered it. And good insight on the swapping being not that easy. If we were to get him 2 pair, which would you recommend? I may start with 1, then follow up with another on Valentine's or his birthday. :wink:

I wouldn't go with a giftcard. Actually having a thought out gift, even if it's not completely what you want will always be nicer to receive and be appreciated more.

In anycase, if you buy from a physical store, as you know, they will exchange, in the event that he really doesn't like them unless it's a sale item.

I'm Asian and the radars and flaks fit well, but exchanging the lenses aren't as easy to swap out as some of the switch lock systems (jawbones, racing jackets, split jackets) if you're swapping them often. If you can afford to, maybe consider getting 2 pairs with different lenses? In the end, you probably don't "save" that much on buying an additional lens, over a complete set (especially if you factor in regular swapping).

I agree about the comment regarding gift cards — not to offend anyone here. It's such a typical thing to do these days, even if the intentions are good. Then it gets ugly if the recipient flips it for cash. So much for the sentiment of gift giving. In this scenario, we're talking about OP's husband. Makes no difference if she goes shopping with him. In fact it's better. If she went shopping with him with a gift card, in my mind it's like he's hit with "an allowance".

Regarding Racing Jackets in particular, I would've recommended too them especially since they have strap mounts, but they're already off Oakley's site catalog. While it's not impossible to source replacement accessories, I could understand if someone wants to keep things simple with using the company site as a resource.

And on the note of strap mounts, the Radarlock and M2 I believe are the only ongoing pairs that feature them. Hard part is most wouldn't recommend either pair. Ironically both have been used by NBA players for that feature, but against the current line of Oakley products that's pretty much their only strengths. The Radar EV line is a better exceution than the Radarlock in virtually every other regard. The M2 doesn't fit everyone's faces because the frames run so close to the brow that they can be pretty prone to shifting, and that pair's version of Asian Fit is presumably just a lens revision. If there was an update for a new nose piece option, then I'd consider it.

From your description I think 4-5 lenses could benefit him. But that's coming from a collector who has no issue adding a pile of lenses to my stash.

Basketball indoor or ultimate at night I would go with yellow or clear. Persimmon is a touch too dark in my opinion, but also an option, especially if both are well-lit.
Basketball outdoor and ultimate during the day could go with a strong sun lens like black iridium, basically anything under the 15% transmission rate. I'd also get an in-between that is nice on overcast days in the 18-30% range. In old lens talk, that would be VR28, now they have all sorts of different options and I'm not hip to all the offerings from Prizm lenses.

I'd also recommend to stay away from mirrored glasses and polarized. In sports eye contact between teammates is important, and polarized can alter depth perception with some people. The tricky part is Glaucoma can increase light sensitivity and going darker and polarized might be a good thing for him. The good news is all Oakley lenses are UV filters, so he'll be wearing UV protection more often.

I agree with the gift card, too. The fit of the glasses are all different, which is part of why Oakley makes so many different pairs that essentially do the same thing.

If he doesn't like shield lenses (one piece for both eyes) the Flak 2.0 is a safe bet, you can get different size lenses and it seems to be a frame that can fit a wide variety of heads. If shields are a go the Radarlock or Radar EV would be the current choices an and the M2 is the budget pair of the shield sports line. Again, all have multiple sizes for lenses, as well as a wide choice of accessory lenses.

I really appreciate how thoughtful your reply is, this is very helpful. Thank you. Yes, eye contact is very important, so that's good to know. I was looking at clear/yellow (indoor) and black iridium (day/outdoor), so at least I was barking up the right tree (sort of)... The lens dimensions are the big question mark, because of how his face is shaped, and I guess the main argument for getting him a gift card...No Glaucoma (knock on wood)... Between the lens interchangeability being a factor, I'm thinking RadarLock makes sense. Thanks again . (And I can see how it is a slippery slope... :D I know I need a pair...)

[...]The Radar EV line is a better execution than the Radarlock in virtually every other regard. The M2 doesn't fit everyone's faces because the frames run so close to the brow that they can be pretty prone to shifting, and that pair's version of Asian Fit is presumably just a lens revision. If there was an update for a new nose piece option, then I'd consider it.

In what way is Radar EV better than RadarLock? I was under the impression they're very similar, other than RadarLock making it easier to swap lenses.

And also, which PRIZM would you recommend? Field?

Last edited:
In what way is Radar EV better than RadarLock? I was under the impression they're very similar, other than RadarLock making it easier to swap lenses.

-Simplicity. The Radarlock's swap mechanism really isn't that big of a deal.
-More peripheral coverage. I believe the Radarlock is even below the regular Radar in this regard because the temples need to be bulky to accommodate the swap mechanism.
-More vertical coverage. There is the Radarlock XL but with the EV you have options to have that same extended cut in Pitch (straight) or Path (sculpted)
-Stems hold firm but are wider/rounder so they aren't as likely to pinch. I personally find the EV less prone to shifting
-Earsocks have more volume both as holding and handling points
-Vents are placed more strategically placed with some towards the center
-End of the stems have flares to slide onto the face more easily (this is more applicable for cycling where you're stuck doing things simultaneously)
-Costs less by like $60 at retail. This is because the Radarlock tends to come with a second lens; however that only holds so much weight if it's actually a lens you want. That same $60 could just go towards a more desired secondary lens.

Avoid Fire Iridium. AR coating on the rear is rather prominent, and the base tint is....I can't figure out what it's good for. It's like an amber with low light-transmission, which is a bit of an oxymoron in my mind.

Imho fire works well with snow, but it's never been a favorite.. Radar EV with clear for indoor/low light use and a dark neutral lens like black/jade Iridium for day use should work well..

@Ventruck nailed it with his multiple posts here. It would certainly be advantageous and even (dare I say it) fun to go to an O store, or even a Sunglass Hut and get him some face time...but I am confident that the Radar EV that he outlined for you will be just the ticket.
:cool-33:

Thank you @Ventruck and @cyclerdoug, now you gave me an idea for a gift for my brother too (avid cyclist...). So, I am thinking Radar EVs for sure, still not sure about which PRIZM (I think it's a good idea for how sunny it is here in CA). Also on the fence about Path vs. Pitch, he does have big cheeks, see photo... Almost feels like maybe needs Path to clear them LOL...
Marc face.JPG

(And yes, if it does NOT fit him, I'll take him to the O store to exchange / shop, but if I just take him with a gift card, he'll wiggle out of it - he'll love them once he has them, I just need to do the legwork for him, and if I nail it, all the better...)

Back