• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Want to buy Oakley for hubby for Xmas-need advice

Thank you @Ventruck and @cyclerdoug, now you gave me an idea for a gift for my brother too (avid cyclist...). So, I am thinking Radar EVs for sure, still not sure about which PRIZM (I think it's a good idea for how sunny it is here in CA). Also on the fence about Path vs. Pitch, he does have big cheeks, see photo... Almost feels like maybe needs Path to clear them LOL...
View attachment 301240
(And yes, if it does NOT fit him, I'll take him to the O store to exchange / shop, but if I just take him with a gift card, he'll wiggle out of it - he'll love them once he has them, I just need to do the legwork for him, and if I nail it, all the better...)

Path may be the best choice. More coverage and "cutouts" for high cheekbones. I'm a "Regulat" radar user and I use the Range lens because I like all the coverage I can get...not available on the EV though.

Thank you @Ventruck and @cyclerdoug, now you gave me an idea for a gift for my brother too (avid cyclist...). So, I am thinking Radar EVs for sure, still not sure about which PRIZM (I think it's a good idea for how sunny it is here in CA). Also on the fence about Path vs. Pitch, he does have big cheeks, see photo... Almost feels like maybe needs Path to clear them LOL...
View attachment 301240
(And yes, if it does NOT fit him, I'll take him to the O store to exchange / shop, but if I just take him with a gift card, he'll wiggle out of it - he'll love them once he has them, I just need to do the legwork for him, and if I nail it, all the better...)

Path or the Asian Fit cut version of Path like I mentioned before.

With the brother in the picture, I guess you're in for 3 pairs.

Your husband is a lucky guy for sure! You're putting a lot of effort into diving into the research to figure out what would work.

As far as the the photo you posted, he reminds me a bit of SMGLee, who is somewhat of an internet firearms personality/competitor of Asian ancestry, but has a prominent nose bridge. Your husband looks a bit more trim, but you can look for photos on Google (SMGLee wears Oakleys a lot) and see if you agree.

Hello,

I want to gift my husband with a pair of Oakleys, and need help deciding. Specifically, I am wanting to pick the right model given that he plays basketball indoor & outdoor, as well as Ultimate outdoors, mostly day time, but sometimes with artificial light at night. They would double as protection - he was elbowed in the eye playing basketball a few years ago, causing a cataract, and recently had to have eye surgery - and sunglasses, so I want to get him interchangeable lenses. More information about my guy - he's Asian, has a round face, with big cheeks. And no, there's no way I can get him to wear goggles, and I've heard of many people saying Oakleys did the trick and allowed the peripheral vision needed.

I've research this and about tied myself into knots at this point. I have been told by various folks to get Asian fit M Frames or M2's and a couple swearing by Radars.I am leaning towards Radars, but which? PRIZM or polarized? Which lens? I'd like to get him lenses to play - yellow tint is recommended for outdoor basketball - and clear possibly for indoors.

I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks!
Prizm lens would be a good choice for clarity in the outdoors. the M-Frames and radars hold pretty well on the temples with the Unobtainium rubber.

Your husband is a lucky guy for sure! You're putting a lot of effort into diving into the research to figure out what would work.

As far as the the photo you posted, he reminds me a bit of SMGLee, who is somewhat of an internet firearms personality/competitor of Asian ancestry, but has a prominent nose bridge. Your husband looks a bit more trim, but you can look for photos on Google (SMGLee wears Oakleys a lot) and see if you agree.

I looked him up, dude sure is a badass... His cheeks are even more bodacious than my hubby's. But yeah, I see the resemblance in build and face shape. He's mostly depicted wearing Racing Jackets (I think?). Except for this...

SMGLee.jpg

That's the guy. He wears Radars, Racing Jackets, M Frames, and Tombstones from what I saw in a quick search. In the pic you posted those are Mag M Frames. You don't want those. The magnesium frames are cool looking but weak compared to normal plastic sports pairs. And now expensive due to being vintage and collectible. But the shape of those is the Strike, which is about the same as Pitch in the Radar line with the flat bottom to the lens. You can see they're down on his cheeks, so he'd probably be better suited to Hybrid, which is closer to the Path lens for Radars with a scallop cut on the bottom of the lens.

On the off chance you're in the Detroit area I'd be happy to walk you through all the options and have a chat about lenses and frames and show you a bunch of the options available outside current retail. You can go to an Oakley store and hope there's an employee that can do that for what's in the store, but I'd wager most of the people on the forum know more about the brand than the average store worker.

That's the guy. He wears Radars, Racing Jackets, M Frames, and Tombstones from what I saw in a quick search. In the pic you posted those are Mag M Frames. You don't want those. The magnesium frames are cool looking but weak compared to normal plastic sports pairs. And now expensive due to being vintage and collectible. But the shape of those is the Strike, which is about the same as Pitch in the Radar line with the flat bottom to the lens. You can see they're down on his cheeks, so he'd probably be better suited to Hybrid, which is closer to the Path lens for Radars with a scallop cut on the bottom of the lens.

On the off chance you're in the Detroit area I'd be happy to walk you through all the options and have a chat about lenses and frames and show you a bunch of the options available outside current retail. You can go to an Oakley store and hope there's an employee that can do that for what's in the store, but I'd wager most of the people on the forum know more about the brand than the average store worker.

I'm in the Bay Area of CA, but thanks for offering to do a walk through, that's super nice of you. Definitely fun to geek out on all the options.

I chatted with Oakley to figure out which version of PRIZM to pick, and they said that for basketball they don't recommend wearing any eyewear because they'll "fall off your face when running" but for Ultimate (which involves a LOT of running) they said OK to wear... Must be company policy not to support basketball with their products? I am trying to pick between Field, Cricket & Golf, since conditions are somewhat similar for playing Ultimate. Any thoughts on that?

Back