• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why is against forum rules to call someone out?

Just to play devil's advocate, I'd say the rule exists to prevent abuse, such as somebody's rep getting damaged from somebody's unreasonable and / or false criticism.

Sort of the spirit of Blackstone's formulation:
"It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer"

Usually when some1 gets called out, their supportters chime in, then your stuck argueing with them while the perp ducks out or does the "Im never using this forum ever again cause you guys sux!" so 9 times out of 10, we lose a member and/or forum members get mad at each other over something some1 else started.

Let me try to answer this once and for all, since it is something brought up on occasion

The reason we cannot call someone out, is because it creates a mob of people and an unnecessary argument.

Some of you may say that it's fine to "hang" someone for doing something wrong, however there is often no proof that one party is more guilty than the other.

Here is an example I have seen 99.9% of the time when someone says a deal is bad:

I get a PM from member X yelling and screaming that member Y scammed them and hasn't replied in 7 days to any of their PM's. I get the details, and try to contact member Y. Member X may argue in favor of calling the member out stating they need to "help the forum". Truthfully, member X is just mad and wants to express it publicly (but I will explain this further down). Member X may cool down and sit tight, or they may still go ahead and create a thread, start an argument etc. Members get mad at each other, some step in to say they have had plenty of good deals with member Y, so on and so forth.

Then it happens. Member Y replies back to member X, said he just doesn't log on that often, he was busy, whatever, and he provides the shipping code, which shows he sent out the item 3 days ago, and just forgot to post it. Member X comes sulking back, saying how everything is good, while myself and the mods have the clean up the un-necessary mess that the argument has created.

I have seen this play out more times than I can count, and it is always the same. Here are some tips to avoid it:

1) I understand you have put out money, but be patient, everyone logs on here different amounts, just because you are on a few times a day, doesn't mean your seller is.
2) You should not be worried as long as you paid via Paypal. This is the biggest similarity between bad deals which aren't bad. Someone is too cheap to pay 4% on top of a $200 deal, then once they send the money and haven't heard back instantly, they panic and want to scream bloody murder. I apologize if this is a crude statement, but it is true. We state it over and over again, several times in rules, on the forum etc. DO NOT SEND PAYPAL FRIENDS & FAMILY. You are dealing with a person, not a corporation. They do not have a customer service department, so protect yourself.

Ok, back to my point before about "Helping the forum". This is by far the most popular reason I hear for wanting to grab pitchforks and publicly degrade a member - that everyone should know what he did. So let's play this out - assuming it was an actual bad deal. Sure, it riles up people today, and the few hundred members who signed on while that thread was on the front page will know, but anyone who joined after a few weeks, months, years has no clue. The thread dies and no one sees it again.

So how can I let the entire forum know that my deal wasn't stellar? So I can help future members for years to come?

Well what a great question. :) The feedback system. You leave feedback, you leave a comment, and whenever someone posts in an exchange area, any member will see that sparkling feedback rating. All of a sudden member X see's that member Y only has 90% feedback, clicks on the number to see comments, and notices that member Y ships his goods slow. Member X decides to pay via Paypal (with fees), and waits patently, until his item arrives in a few business day. Crisis Averted.

As always, feel free to reply or PM me if you'd like to discuss this more.

Latest Posts

Back