• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

24k metals

The 24k xs are the only glasses I will spend $1k on and I even go back and forth with myself about it. I guess I would just have to be in one of my moods thinking, damn I really want one.

Yellow-gold bling isn't my style; I wear white metals, i.e. stainless / Ti / silver / white gold / platinum. But there have been times that I've been tempted to want them, seeing them here and in real life. But once I couple the price to my fashion sense, the decision to pass is easy...

Yellow-gold bling isn't my style; I wear white metals, i.e. stainless / Ti / silver / white gold / platinum. But there have been times that I've been tempted to want them, seeing them here and in real life. But once I couple the price to my fashion sense, the decision to pass is easy...

I guess thats where the wearability lowers for these. most people, like carguy, only find certain occasions appropriate to wear yellow gold. it happens to be so convenient that they are inconvenient to wear, so they stay on the shelf. I have not worn either of my pairs, but did not pay over $1k for either of them.

Why do you guys think it's inappropriate to wear gold frames? Since I received my gold plated R1s from InfiniteHero I've worn them every day. Every other Rayban aviator frame is the traditional yellow gold blingy metal with green toned lenses, so what's the problem?

I wouldn't wear the 24k Juliet or XS, but only because I wouldn't want to ruin their value. Custom plated pairs are no problem wearing.

Why do you guys think it's inappropriate to wear gold frames? Since I received my gold plated R1s from InfiniteHero I've worn them every day. Every other Rayban aviator frame is the traditional yellow gold blingy metal with green toned lenses, so what's the problem?

I wouldn't wear the 24k Juliet or XS, but only because I wouldn't want to ruin their value. Custom plated pairs are no problem wearing.

Flashy blingy frames don't go well in conservative situations. Like a business meeting or a funeral, etc.

Though I should mention that my earlier comment was based on personal style preference, not appropriateness...

Flashy blingy frames don't go well in conservative situations. Like a business meeting or a funeral, etc.

Though I should mention that my earlier comment was based on personal style preference, not appropriateness...
Yeah. I wouldn't wear a C-6 aluminum to a funeral. Have to wear the Carbon. ;)

Check on funerals and business meetings. What about the rest of life, which should be about 99% of your time, unless you work as a priest. ;)

I think if you have a style akin to MC Hammer, you can rock gold any time anywhere.

But judging by the comments so far, these 24k are more shelf queens than for wearing. Even for the owners who didn't spend 1k+ on it, the market value would deter most people from touching it let alone wearing it out. I can't imagine myself staring at an expensive wearable displayed like a sculpture... Unless I have a museum like @OakleyFrankFMJ

Back