• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cutting Lenses - What Works

Mate, it does not matter what Dremel model you use, mine is several years old so there is newer model out there. (It's the round/small one in that picture)

I used 800 and then 1200 grit wet sandpaper, i think SoulFulFrog using 2000 grit...
I do that's correct.. but now I only do one once in a blue moon. I'd rather pay z or Randy to do it. It just takes me too bloody long. The last set of squared I had almost 3 hours in before I was satisfied. Lol. 40 bucks for a friend or 3 hours of my time. That's less than min wage here. Haha..thanks for the mention too but Zach and Randy are the dudes to talk to for anyone looking to cut. Perhaps more zach because he does them by hand like me..

Mate, it does not matter what Dremel model you use, mine is several years old so there is newer model out there. (It's the round/small one in that picture)

I used 800 and then 1200 grit wet sandpaper, i think SoulFulFrog using 2000 grit...
Oh and great job on the R1. They are a bitch but fun as hell. I'm just finishing up a pair for a friend today.. right now actually

Me...nah I'm jusy some dude with a rag, mothers and some sand paper. Just do yourself a favor and dont settle. I think I went back to mine about 6 times over and kept on polishing more..

Yeah, i will do that. it will be just better and better.

I have recently discovered that Oakley will no longer fit RX lenses into Oakley frames as old as my Hatchets, and that they no longer offer Gold Iridium lenses for prescription. I've been pretty upset about it, but then I saw on this forum that lenses can be cut from larger ones. Well I have cracked but not broken Straight Jacket 1 frames with prescription lenses in them, and was wondering if anyone knew whether the Straight Jacket 1 RX lenses could be cut to fit into Hatchet frames (which have smaller lenses)?

I have recently discovered that Oakley will no longer fit RX lenses into Oakley frames as old as my Hatchets, and that they no longer offer Gold Iridium lenses for prescription. I've been pretty upset about it, but then I saw on this forum that lenses can be cut from larger ones. Well I have cracked but not broken Straight Jacket 1 frames with prescription lenses in them, and was wondering if anyone knew whether the Straight Jacket 1 RX lenses could be cut to fit into Hatchet frames (which have smaller lenses)?

The custom cutting you see here is with non-prescription lenses. Perhaps @Chris A Hardaway can answer your question about prescription lenses.

Question on cutting a snow goggle outter lens to use for an m-frame, bare with me here, I might be over thinking this but... My intentions were to find the center of the goggle lens/m-frame lenses to line up, tape the m-frame lens to the backside of the goggle lens to trace the outline in marker, remove the m-frame lens and begin cutting with a diamond rotary bit and hopefully not going inside the line. Sand/polish edge if needed... Ive heard mention of using a tape method to reduce errors, but is that just for the tracing bit or do people actually cut with the template lens still mounted in place o_O

Back