• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How do I clean my prizm polarized lens?

so dish soap wont damage lenses or frames because i always just put them fully under water then put dish soap in the water then move them around take them out then air dry is that a bad technique or is it OK

so dish soap wont damage lenses or frames because i always just put them fully under water then put dish soap in the water then move them around take them out then air dry is that a bad technique or is it OK

I dunno how much worse dish soap is. I typically only use hand soap as it's typically milder.

ok so is soft-soap hand soap ok for lenses? Because im trying to get the least amount for scratches om my lenses as possible and trying to prevent as much scratches as possible.

ok so is soft-soap hand soap ok for lenses? Because im trying to get the least amount for scratches om my lenses as possible and trying to prevent as much scratches as possible.

The soap is not what scratches. What I'm concerned about is potential delamination issues; specifically with dish soap. I've used Softsoap before and haven't really had issues with my lenses.

ok so form now on i should clean my lenses like this-
-Remove lenses
-put under running warm water
-put hand soap on my thumb and index finger rub on lenses
-keep under running water
-then air dry

correct?

Ok, so that's why i ask. You're probably getting a lot of dirt, grime, sweat as you're using it for biking. Using the cloth daily or multiple times a day, and then only cleaning it once every 3 days is probably a bad idea. You should probably carry multiple cloths and only using them once. Also, if your lenses are getting THAT dirty, try rinsing them with water before you wipe. At least that way you're minimizing the possibility of scratching. I would also be giving the frame and lenses as a whole a good cleaning when i'm at home to increase the longevity of your glasses. The rubber will start to break down if you sweat and don't clean them. The material is designed to absorb sweat to increase holding power.

I personally use a mild hand soap like the Method brand to clean both my microclear bags and cloths. I also use it on my lenses. Just run under sink water and then put some soap on.

Here's my process:
-Remove lenses and rubber
-Rinse under running water
-Apply soap to bag. Scrub outside and flip inside out to scrub inside. Rinse and hang dry
-Apply soap to hands, lather, then clean lenses, rubber, and frames. Rinse.
-Use a towel to dry frames and rubber.
-Use microclear bag (dry one) to wipe lenses
-Use compressed air to blow water out of the frames

They're joking.
wow... that's so meticulous :eek:

ok so form now on i should clean my lenses like this-
-Remove lenses
-put under running warm water
-put hand soap on my thumb and index finger rub on lenses
-keep under running water
-then air dry

correct?
"Hand soap" is a pretty generic term; some have very harsh abrasives and chemical sterilizing agents.
Look, use MILD DISH SOAP (liquid "Dawn"...).
If the wife uses it for dishes, it is mild enough for her dainty hands, it'll be OK for lenses.
Just put the tiniest dot between your index finger and thumb, and rub LIGHTLY on the front/back surface of the pre-wet lens while running under warm water. This will remove the greasy eye-goop and murdered insect ectoplasm that doesn't flush off during the initial rinse. Pat dry with a good quality micro-fibre cloth, and finish dry with a clean/dry O micro-fibre.
EVERY time you wipe your lenses, you take the risk of scratches.
Don't wipe if you can blow the speck off with your sprinter's lungs.
Lastly, use Oakley Hydrophobic solution on your lenses.
It will help immensely in keeping crap from sticking to the lenses in the first place.
Each application lasts me a month or more.
This method I've use for years, with good result.
Good luck!

Back