• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How to Remove Scratches Without Polishing a Watch?

Thanks very much for all the uselful info man.Which grade steel wool have u found more effective? 000 or 0000?

I've used 000 more but it's not worth digging too deep, just get both. It's cheap.

This thread seems to have focused so far more on removing scratches, but the other consideration should be which best matches the original brushed finish, once the scratches are removed. Some promote 000 as best while others say 0000; I think the amount of pressure you apply matters too, so YMMV.

So if you have both, you could always use one or the other to fine-tune it. 000 gave you results that look rougher than original? Work it with some 0000. 0000 gave a more satin than brushed look? Work it with some 000.

The other question that hasn't been asked, 000 & 0000 steel wool are often used as final stages for furniture refinishing, and when used so they are often used wet. So, in this case should it be used wet or dry? Dry...

Here's some examples of various watch crystals compared to other items on the Mohs scale...

Mohs.png

i copy paste the seller info on this

Brushed Titanium / Brushed Steel Watch Refinishing Pen & 1 Refill

That looks alot like a spot sanding pen used in automotive refinishing. Pretty much just a bunch of fibers glued together in a stick. They're like $5 or so normally.

• Designed specifically to restore titanium or Satin finish cases, buckles, and bezels
  • Retractable and self-storing refinishing tip
  • Compact size refinishes small areas and gets into tight spaces
  • Fantastic professional results with little effort
  • Refinish your own watches and save time and money!
One pen will do a ton of refinishing!

INCLUDES A FREE REFILL

This is an incredibly easy and convenient way to restore the titanium finish or brushed finish of your AP watch. While we recommend the Titanium Refinishing Pad or the Satin Refinishing pad (available in our store) for larger areas and blending, this pen is ideal for quick touch ups and small blemishes. Everyone who owns a titanium watch or a Satin finish watch should have one! If you are a perfectionist and bothered by the smallest of scuffs, you may even want to have one at home and one at the office to save yourself the aggravation of looking at a mishap all day long.

Well it didn't seem to put my response in the quote. Anyway that pen looks pretty much like a spot sanding pen I use for sanding rock chips and such on paint for cars. Can be had for around $5 or so on eBay and such.

this thread is very helpful!
so theoretically if i have polished surface lets say like on juliets ......by using 0000 i could make them look more like a plasma satin look? and with 000 its more like a brushed minute machine finish?the finish posted in here of the TB2 seems very similar to OEM last gen plasma to me...
im gonna try it out asap.....

the last gen plasma is looking like smudged polished finish an very similar to finish of my TB2 watch...but you are right probably its coated or something...
thanks for info anyway...just wondering if someone tried the steel wool on polished surface or x metals....

Back