• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

"Rare" Oakleys - We know what the definition ISN'T. But WHAT is?!!

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Everyone chucks around the word "Rare" or even "Ultra Rare" when they're trying to sell their Oakleys. It's quite annoying at times (I know @Dallas O Hog hates it...and I know he's not alone!!)

What is your definition of "Rare" when it comes to referring specifically to Oakleys?

I see it more in terms of "absolute numbers" of an item. But then, how rare is "rare"?

Also, which is considered rarer? A limited edition run of 100 pieces out of 10,000 "publicly released" versions, or 500 pieces out of 1 million released?

P.S. This is how the Oxford Dictionary defines "RARE". And it doesn't talk about "incidence" (e.g. <1/1000 or 1/1500). And it also defines "rare" as being "qualitative" c.f. 1.2 - "unusually good or remarkable".

ADJECTIVE (rarest, rarer)
1 (of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often. e.g. ‘a rare genetic disorder’.
with infinitive ‘it's rare to see a house so little altered’

1.1 (of a thing) not found in large numbers and so of interest or value. e.g. ‘one of Britain's rarest birds, the honey buzzard

1.2 Unusually good or remarkable. e.g. ‘he plays with rare sensitivity’

I would say something that is hard to find and may take a year or longer to find.

A lot of sellers will use the term rare on expensive items that are easy to find. Just because an item demands a high price doesn’t make it rare. I agree that the term rare is heavily overused.

I like to message these sellers around me on the various sale apps telling them it's not rare. There' a guy selling a "rare" Oakley book here for $300. I messaged him a screenshot of same book for sale on Amazon for $29.99. He still has this Super Rare Skateboard
Screenshot_20180106-122724.png

Isn't that account some sort of bot run by site admin here?
I think you'e right. It just throws out from sort of algorithm what it thinks we want to see. Needs to throw out more of those "silver okleey glasses" sales where it turns out to be a Bone Juliet Fire.

Back