• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

"Rare" Oakleys - We know what the definition ISN'T. But WHAT is?!!

Everyone chucks around the word "Rare" or even "Ultra Rare" when they're trying to sell their Oakleys. It's quite annoying at times (I know @Dallas O Hog hates it...and I know he's not alone!!)

What is your definition of "Rare" when it comes to referring specifically to Oakleys?

I see it more in terms of "absolute numbers" of an item. But then, how rare is "rare"?

Also, which is considered rarer? A limited edition run of 100 pieces out of 10,000 "publicly released" versions, or 500 pieces out of 1 million released?

P.S. This is how the Oxford Dictionary defines "RARE". And it doesn't talk about "incidence" (e.g. <1/1000 or 1/1500). And it also defines "rare" as being "qualitative" c.f. 1.2 - "unusually good or remarkable".

ADJECTIVE (rarest, rarer)
1 (of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often. e.g. ‘a rare genetic disorder’.
with infinitive ‘it's rare to see a house so little altered’

1.1 (of a thing) not found in large numbers and so of interest or value. e.g. ‘one of Britain's rarest birds, the honey buzzard

1.2 Unusually good or remarkable. e.g. ‘he plays with rare sensitivity’

The professor has spoken.

I’d say that rare is an item that isn’t seen often that is at least 10 years old. I wouldn’t consider and of luxes junk rare. Just because something has limited numbers I don’t think it’s rare. Rare also ties into supply and demand

A white monkey is “RARE” lol

This is rare lol
939BBE31-3F98-4E2A-934D-1DFAC7AEB3C7.jpeg

This is one of a kind because there is only one made.
86E580BD-32CF-4CC5-B616-AD9188881D87.jpeg

Well this is JUST RARE only because im wearing it, and also because im in the front cover of playboy magazine jahahahahaj
74D87F37-6343-4DB3-BC6D-B54A0B22DC1A.jpeg

Back