• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Painting Frames- Questions

there isn't really anything you can do to prevent it. Lubricant? Frogskins are the WORST frame possible honestly to paint and hope to not chip the orbitals. The lenses are flat, the edges are sharper than all the rest, and there is very little you can do...

there isn't really anything you can do to prevent it. Lubricant? Frogskins are the WORST frame possible honestly to paint and hope to not chip the orbitals. The lenses are flat, the edges are sharper than all the rest, and there is very little you can do...

So what do you do Dr. Chop? Your Frogskins always turn out super nice and clean it seems. Do you add extra clear coat around the orbitals or what?

no...extra clear is worse. the more material you lay on the higher the risk because the lenses drag....Just have adapted tricks to getting the lenses in, although I HIGHLY don't recommend removal once in though...If so, there's a very high risk of F'ing up the finish...Even mine aren't always perfect, but that's also why I ask for the lenses so I can do touch-ups if I do screw em up lol...

Got a question and thought I would try to tack it onto this thread. I'm new - sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

I have an old pair of Radar's that have a plasma finish - kind-of champagne colored. Looked great for about a month, then the finish started to wear off revealing black plastic below. Four years of hard cycling later they look terrible. About 30% of the finish is gone.

7366058240_94d592a3b2.jpg

I'm thinking they would look better with all the finish off. How can I do this. I have seen other threads that speak of acetone-free nail polish remover. Will this take off the finish?

I've recently decided I'm going to design/paint a pair of frames. This thread has been extremely helpful in getting me started. However, I noticed most of the talk on here is about airbrushing. I know some of the same methods can apply to hand painting (via brush), but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions about types of paints, brushes, or methods. I'll be sure to grab a cheap pair from walmart or target to practice on first!

Thanks!

I've recently decided I'm going to design/paint a pair of frames. This thread has been extremely helpful in getting me started. However, I noticed most of the talk on here is about airbrushing. I know some of the same methods can apply to hand painting (via brush), but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions about types of paints, brushes, or methods. I'll be sure to grab a cheap pair from walmart or target to practice on first!

Thanks!

I think Dr. Chop indirectly answered this. The paint needs to be thin but yet strong. I recently painted my Gascans. It looked real nice until I tried to install the lenses. I didn't use a airbrush but did use a automotive paint from a spray can. I sprayed a couple of coats of primer, a couple of coats of color and more than a couple of coats of clear. I added lots of clear since I figured I can color sand and polish some of it off. It was still too thick and it scraped some of the paint off. Brush paint is usually thicker and since brushing usually is uneven it requires more than one coat to get a consistent layer.

If you decide to still brush the paint try using a plastic spoon for practice. A plastic spoon is good to use since it is polystyrene and you can see if the paints used reacts to it. Oakley doesn't use polystyrene as the frame material but at least the spoon will tell you if the paint you use might cause damage and you can take precautions to seal the plastic from the paint. Generally it's best to use a primer sealer to prevent any reaction anyway.

As for painting a Walmart pair. I would try to look for a really cheap pair of Oakleys. The plastic frame material is supposed to be the same across the line and you will be able to learn how to disassemble the frame and lenses.

Hope this helps.

I think Dr. Chop indirectly answered this. The paint needs to be thin but yet strong. I recently painted my Gascans. It looked real nice until I tried to install the lenses. I didn't use a airbrush but did use a automotive paint from a spray can. I sprayed a couple of coats of primer, a couple of coats of color and more than a couple of coats of clear. I added lots of clear since I figured I can color sand and polish some of it off. It was still too thick and it scraped some of the paint off. Brush paint is usually thicker and since brushing usually is uneven it requires more than one coat to get a consistent layer.

If you decide to still brush the paint try using a plastic spoon for practice. A plastic spoon is good to use since it is polystyrene and you can see if the paints used reacts to it. Oakley doesn't use polystyrene as the frame material but at least the spoon will tell you if the paint you use might cause damage and you can take precautions to seal the plastic from the paint. Generally it's best to use a primer sealer to prevent any reaction anyway.

As for painting a Walmart pair. I would try to look for a really cheap pair of Oakleys. The plastic frame material is supposed to be the same across the line and you will be able to learn how to disassemble the frame and lenses.

Hope this helps.
That is why an airbrush is better suited. You can control the way you reduce the paints and clears, control the flow and how much material is actually being sprayed, and you can damn sure determine and put what you need where you need it. Thicker is not better. If you get a great flow and don't run into all the "Silicone" problems I just experienced for weeks, you can get a damn sick looking clear without the build-up.

Back