• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

ProzoneUK

There has already been a thread with a large outcry that they dont etch "xmetal" on their r1 lenses...
People always ask Chris to find them a donor lens that he can chop, but still have the polarized etching...

Not many choices at all and their hard to find...

The problem is...how would you be able to tell a difference between a zeiss lense and an oakley lense?
I dunno...

You can take any aftermarket lenses that’s NOT etched, pop them in a frame and no one would be able to guess what it was...

Only exception is LG’s Turquoise Lens, which is clearly unique in its color...

Or the gross rainbow Brazilian lenses that they drop in fake XMetals...

People always ask Chris to find them a donor lens that he can chop, but still have the polarized etching...

I dunno...

You can take any aftermarket lenses that’s NOT etched, pop them in a frame and no one would be able to guess what it was...

I can usually tell the difference between OEM and aftermarket whether it's a slight difference in base tint or iridium tint around the edges(except for black and silver lenses). But zeiss has a good name and may be much more difficult to tell a difference. Not that prozone has bad intentions but they cant have control over whether a reseller has bad intentions.

.....and yes....those Brazilian lenses are nassssty

I can usually tell the difference between OEM and aftermarket whether it's a slight difference in base tint or iridium tint around the edges(except for black and silver lenses). But zeiss has a good name and may be much more difficult to tell a difference. Not that prozone has bad intentions but they cant have control over whether a reseller has bad intentions.

.....and yes....those Brazilian lenses are nassssty
I’ve seen Ikons, Revant, LG and OEM side by side by side and there is no difference in appearance...

You can only tell the difference when you hold them and feel the rigidity and thickness...

D6FA475C-4398-42FF-8A4D-F86C13EF7521.gif

I have some zeiss lenses in a pair of glasses I got from Eddie Bauer Jr...

He owns SikkShades and he goes to my gym :)

He gave me a clear frame with “rubies”...

They’re similar to Holbrooks, but they have awesome nose pads on the nose bridge to keep them from sliding...

I dunno...

I think people's fears were twofold on that regard, at least from what I remember reading on that thread @"TRUMP" is referring to. 1. Was the infringement issue, which is a valid point that @ProzoneUK addressed in a professional way. Many people didn't want to see an aftermarket lense trying to pass off with a "proprietary" look of OEM. 2. And then have resellers try to pass off the lenses as OEM at a premium to unsuspecting buyers. Thus he said the X-Metal etching would be taken off the production batch.

But neither of those things in my mind stops someone with an etching laser from buying sets and trying to pass them off as OEM after they leave the originator if the lenses are left blank. Etching the lenses from the start negates both those issues, but definitely begs the issue of not liking having Zeiss etched on the lenses. My suggestion is maybe put a different font on the Polarized etching that is tasteful but is also obvious its not an OEM lense? The rubies I have, have the polarized on them, but I've worn Oakley lenses for 20 years now and know the difference. So it doesn't bother me to have it on there, even more so since Juliet rubies never came polarized anyway, and a savvy buyer would never mistake them as OEM.

If you cannot tell the difference unless handling them, they need some way of identification.

Maybe have 'Polarized' but in a different font? I was going to suggest etch the other lens but that doesn't seem right...?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Latest Posts

Back