• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

T6 Screws

Razerwire

And then there was X...
Falls Church, VA
I hate them. I abhor them. I loathe them.

The screw heads are far too easy to become stripped. I really wish they just went with a flat head or phillips.

The screw heads on my Juliet were stripped and thankfully replaced.

Now the Penny I picked up has one hinge's screw head starting to strip.

It's not like I'm over tightening them either. I'm trying to EXTRACT the screws and it's stripping. :mad:

yeah sometimes its your T-6 driver - when it gets worn (and quite quickly if its not made of high grade metal), it starts to chew the screws up. I recon well worth investing in a good t-6 from a repute hardware company.... i have a Kinchrome set thats lasted way longer than the almost single-use, made in china ones that wear out within 5 screws. Aftermarket lenses come with the t-6 driver usually, and i just replace the old one each time..

I am working on finding replacement screws for my orbitals, from an aircraft hardware supplier...... I will update soon....

yeah sometimes its your T-6 driver - when it gets worn (and quite quickly if its not made of high grade metal), it starts to chew the screws up. I recon well worth investing in a good t-6 from a repute hardware company.... i have a Kinchrome set thats lasted way longer than the almost single-use, made in china ones that wear out within 5 screws. Aftermarket lenses come with the t-6 driver usually, and i just replace the old one each time..
I have a General T6 screwdriver. Made in the US. I dunno if it's the screws or the screwdriver at this point.

I am working on finding replacement screws for my orbitals, from an aircraft hardware supplier...... I will update soon....
Are those replacement screws you're looking for going to be for the Juliet or Penny? Definitely let me know if it's for the hinges on the Penny! The lens screws are fine on mine.

That's another thing. I'm pretty sure the Juliet uses the same screw for all four points. The Penny has different screws for the hinges and the lenses. :mad:

That's another thing. I'm pretty sure the Juliet uses the same screw for all four points. The Penny has different screws for the hinges and the lenses. :mad:

The lens orbital screws on the juliet is different to the stem - one is a rounded head (hinge), the other is a square-cut head (orbitals). Penny screws are only half threaded for the hinges, But im pretty sure it has the same orbital screws as a juliet (i have to check). Walleva and linegear sells them on ebay.

i have made an excel spreadsheet for a list that cross references all parts for the X-metals.. save the models i dont have (eg Romeo2)

edit: as far as i can see, the orbital screw on the Penny IS the same as Juliet. T-6, fillister head, 5mm long.

I have a General T6 screwdriver. Made in the US. I dunno if it's the screws or the screwdriver at this point.

Are those replacement screws you're looking for going to be for the Juliet or Penny? Definitely let me know if it's for the hinges on the Penny! The lens screws are fine on mine.

Dont quote me on this but I believe the penny ones are a different length the Juliet, or they are half threaded... cant remember, and I DARE not pull the screws from my penny frame.

I will be trying to get screws for the juliet. There are a few of my pairs that I need to replace from switching lenses awhile back.

Do you guys have any solution on how to remove the torx when its stripped? I called Oakley and they could not do anything about this problem. I bought a used X metal XX TiO2 and did not see this stripped until I tried to change the lens with a scratch! Now I am kinda stuck with it.

Do you guys have any solution on how to remove the torx when its stripped? I called Oakley and they could not do anything about this problem. I bought a used X metal XX TiO2 and did not see this stripped until I tried to change the lens with a scratch! Now I am kinda stuck with it.
your best bet is put a very small amount of superglue on the tip of the torx driver, and try to glue it to the screw to remove. its risky because you dont wanna glue the threads shut. if that doesnt work you may have to cut the rubber gasket away and cut the screw. good luck..

Thanks for the option. It would take a flat surface for the super glue to hold onto the Torx driver, especially when you twist it counterclockwise. If the gasket will be cut, along with the screw..it might have the same problem, since part of the screw will be onto the orbitals. I should have brought a torx driver before I bought it...darn!

your best bet is put a very small amount of superglue on the tip of the torx driver, and try to glue it to the screw to remove. its risky because you dont wanna glue the threads shut. if that doesnt work you may have to cut the rubber gasket away and cut the screw. good luck..

JB weld works a lot better than Superglue. You could try the old rubber band trick (put a small piece of rubber band in the the screw head first to take up sone of the slack between the head and the driver). Or use a drill to cut slots into the head and use a flat screwdriver.

Latest Posts

Back