• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How to Clean an Oakley Mag Switch?

erap

I should Work at Oakley
Since it is prone to fading/flaking of frame, cleaning with warm water and soap will not hurt? Mag switch owners pls chime in!

Not everything Oakley made back then was a perfect design and flawless. The ceramic coating was not fired or sealed thus it tends to rub off, chip and flake away from the magnesium. Then we have the nose bridge which is similar to the X metals however because their spring-loaded hinges a lot of the pressure was not put on the nose bridge. Then we move onto the year socks which are a different design than most of the others. They were glued on. My suggestion is to just spray them with some lens cleaner and wipe them off if there really bad a little warm water and some soap with a toothbrush very lightly. You're never going to stop the ceramic coating from flaking at that point. I do know that X man has been able to do some really nice work with the magnesium frames. I have the switch collection and I rarely wear them except maybe in the wintertime when it's not hot. The summer causes perspiration and it speeds up the stripping of the coating. The more you clean these frames the more the coating will flake off, IMHO just a design problem but they are unique and on usual. Even the lenses were a bit difficult to replace you could say this frame takes a little bit of every other frame into a design that was way beyond it's time. If you absolutely have to wear them I would just wipe them down rinse them in a little cold water wouldn't go any further than that

Last edited:
Back