• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Replacement Lens Trap...

There are many donor lenses for Romeo 1's so couldn't Oakley (or an enterprising optician) just use the blanks (from say, a Crosshair) and cut a Romeo lens. If they use tha same machine an optician would use (as seen on Youtube) I'm sure they could get a 'donor' pattern lens.

What I wouldn't like to see is the X Metal etching reintroduced - this defined a certain era and the rarity of good condition lenses adds to the aura of Romeo 1's.

What I would like to see is good quality XYZ Optics available with the Thermonuclear protection that only Oakley can provide.

Jim - if you could have a word in the right direction, I'm sure the demand would justify the effort!!! and thanks for listening.

Oakley could make them from other lens blanks but the issue, as with any lens you cut, is that you aren't getting XYZ optics that were designed for that frame. Each lens has a specially tapered lens that matches the frame curvature, thickness, etc.

Oakley could make them from other lens blanks but the issue, as with any lens you cut, is that you aren't getting XYZ optics that were designed for that frame. Each lens has a specially tapered lens that matches the frame curvature, thickness, etc.
XYZ optics isn't frame specific per se, it's how the taper correction is made into the lens itself. As long as it is an XYZ lens to start, it is when finished.

I've really never understood getting aftermarket lenses for Os. I haven't had the chance to read the whole thread and I hope this parallel hasn't be made yet, but I've told people that it's exactly buying a 458 Italia and putting a Yugo motor in it. Defeats the whole purpose. SMH

Just trying to get my head round the lens 'creation' process - how does the pre-cut lens blank differ from model to model? I thought you would have blanks of a set size that would be cut to fit any frame with the same curvature and that a donor lens for a custom cut would be determined by it's size. i.e that it had to be larger than the finnished size lens.

please educate me!!

Just trying to get my head round the lens 'creation' process - how does the pre-cut lens blank differ from model to model? I thought you would have blanks of a set size that would be cut to fit any frame with the same curvature and that a donor lens for a custom cut would be determined by it's size. i.e that it had to be larger than the finnished size lens.

please educate me!!
I am pretty sure the blanks are as you state, one size with it's base curve and style (spherical or toric) and then cut to fit specific frame from there. I highly doubt there are individual blanks for each style as that would make virtually zero sense. That is probably a part of the reason they use the laser to determine the best optic center point of the lens and then make the cut. I can't remember if they are coated after or before cutting...

I am pretty sure the blanks are as you state, one size with it's base curve and style (spherical or toric) and then cut to fit specific frame from there. I highly doubt there are individual blanks for each style as that would make virtually zero sense. That is probably a part of the reason they use the laser to determine the best optic center point of the lens and then make the cut. I can't remember if they are coated after or before cutting...

I believe the lenses are cut first then Iridium coated.

The process in that would be much more costly than profitable I would imagine. If you look at it from a corporate point of view you would have to create a new department for taking and processing the orders, separate shipping departments for just those orders so there is no mix ups with retail/web, dedicate specific machinery for the production of 1-2 item type orders, which if you have ever seen the iridium chambers, cnc lens cutting equip and so on, it isn't set up for making 1-2 piece batches, and then hope nothing goes awry. I can't imagine what it actually costs to run one batch of lenses from start to finish (well, post blank creation). Those Iridium machines don't look cheap to fire up. The only real way to do it is to release specific colors for specific frames, manufacture the thousands of lenses, or at least hundreds, and then add them to availability. Oh, I mean basically do what they already do except bring back the disco'd parts.

This topic is quite similar to that of trying to find replacement parts for classic cars. The manufacturers don't maintain inventory on stuff that has long since been disco'd, and those who have them get what they are asking for said parts because nobody else does. It is a supply and demand situation. In these though, lenses, screws, rubber parts..they don't really take up a ton of space for warehousing and so on, so it only makes sense to have a supply of product out there and make that money. I mean really, from a profit stand point, these parts sell for more than the glasses ever did on ebay, so it's pure profit there. Re-release Romeo hardware and don't give it away like before, sell the upper and lower replacement parts along with screws for $50 each kit. people will pay it all day long and be damn happy since to get it now costs about 3 times that amount. Lenses, if clowns pay $385 for a lens set on a glass that cost $350 when new, there CLEARLY is room for profit there. Re-introduce them at $125 price point and add the option for custom etching...bet people will pop $140-$150 a set...Wait, I know they will. You won't get that following for say a Gascan, Canteen, or even old Straight Jacket. You will for Zeros, X Metals, and probably the flat Razor Blade/Blades lenses (the originals)...I have an active app and resume there, I would gladly take a position to implement a true relaunch of vintage stuff for repair/refurb...Gladly.
They did custom lenses for Juliet... don't see why they couldn't do this for everything else. They have the materials, just cut it on demand. I also don't see how they would need to create a new dept for anything as they already do custom cut lenses for active models. Why would custom cutting older models change anything?

There may be more to it but I really don't see what the problem is here. They are making the materials anyway all they have to do is cut them so I don't see how inventory would be a problem. Should be pretty easy for them to do.

Back